NFR Favorite meals to prepare in a crock pot

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by skokomish fly, Nov 18, 2012.

1. skokomish fly New Member

Your moms house
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Wondering what some of your guys favorite meals are utilizing the wonderful crock pot. Personally I like to cook a nice elk roast with carrots, potatoes and onions allowing them to slowly cook in some red wine. However I find it most enjoyable to prepare while wearing my patagonia jacket which keeps me warm and cozy on these cool fall evenings. Look forward to hearing what other people have to say on the subject.
  2. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
    Just letting you know there is a Camping, Hiking, and Cooking Section on here. Nice section. Check it out, you may want to post there.
  3. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +682 / 5
    It's been moved already. :)

I make a wide variety of things in my crockpot. Roasts of course. I love to do a nice pork roast slow cooked all day, then pull it apart with some BBQ sauce and make an easy "pulled pork". Will also do this with chicken as well. Pulled chicken is actually pretty tasty.

I LOVE to do country style pork ribs in crockpot. Toss in some onions, a crushed garlic clove and some sweet baby rays. Cook on low all day. No added water, just let the fat drain out. The country style pork ribs will literally fall apart and be super soft. Usually I'll serve them over rice and use the drippings as a sauce.

Then, you move onto stews. Do quite a few of those. Especially when I hunted, I would make Elk or deer stew. Slow cooked all day.

I have done so many things. I was even given a crockpot cookbook when I was 18. I already knew how to cook, but was something my Dad had and figured it would help me out as I moved out. Has some pretty good recipes in it. :)
  4. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    Corn beef, potatoes and cabbage are my favorite.
    I also make chile in mine with a really simple recipe.

Lastly, salsa chicken for taco.
    stilly stalker likes this.
  5. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +124 / 0
    My favorite is whatcha got stew. For those that don't know about this stew it is typically cooked in the late winter or early spring after many months of cold weather and sufficiently far from the closing of hunting seasons. What you do is call up a couple of friends and invite them for a dinner. Then each of you goes to your freezer and digs out whatever wild game might be remaining and bring it to the dinner. You add the offerings from each of you along with carrots, potatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, whatever you got. Naturally, this is a get together that starts midday so that the stew has plenty of time to cook. We usually combine this with a salmon smoke. Where we each brine a piece of salmon and prep it for the smoker. Then we open a growler of Brown & Hairy from Skookums and get the smoker going. Next we pour another glass of beer and start chopping and tossing into the crockpot. After several hours and glasses of beer the salmon is ready. We sample some of each and divide the remaining up for each of us to take home. Then its' time to serve up the stew!!! The past couple of years has included women friends and bottles of Merlot with a large fire in the fireplace. The dinners seem to linger long into the night now too and last year resulted in couch crashing and waffles with strawberries for breakfast.
  6. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    TD, I redirected it from the main forum. So will show in the main forum for a day, then redirect disappears and just the thread will be left here in the correct forum. :)

TD, we always did something similar to this. But in camp actually. My Dad always called it Hunter's Goulash. We took our old Dutch Oven (the actual on the stove/oven style, not a camp oven) and start tossing EVERYTHING we had left in our chuck box into the oven. Then stew it down and eat it at the end of the last night there. But that's a great idea you guys had there. Damned, never thought about doing that. We could've had some pretty damned good BBQ's that way. :)
  7. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +124 / 0
    Ohhh... a BBQ would be a good idea for this too! Never considered that. I'm thinking 4th of July bash....
  8. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +189 / 2
    I grew up in bumfluck Alabama/Georgia and we called this "Brunswick Stew". It was a very thick tomato based stew with whatever vegetables were in the garden (different down there) and meat but almost always there was corn and some squirrel in there as that and rabbit were the most commonly taken wild game throughout the year.

I need to buy a crock pot...
  9. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +155 / 0
    Just as Jerry said, pulled pork and pulled chicken are a mainstay at my house. For pulled pork I much prefer sliced and stacked pork butt steaks to an unsliced butt. For some reason they get even more tender when their cooked as steaks. I usually cook chicken for chicken salad in the crock too.
  10. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    I love crock pot cooking. There's nothing like coming home from work and opening the door to the smells of the crock pot cooking away.

Here's one of my fav's...

Tortilla Soup
    1 package boneless chicken breasts OR thighs. Or meat from 2 pheasant.
    1 medium rough chopped yellow onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    14oz chicken broth
    1 can diced tomatos w/ chilis or garlic
    1 can corn or half package of frozen corn
    1 4oz can green chili's
    1 10oz enchilalda sauce
    1t cumin
    1t chili powder
    3T fresh chopped cilantro
    1/2t salt and pepper

Put all of the above into crock pot. Cook on low for 8+ hours or high for 4-5 hours. 10 minutes before serving, remove meat from crock pot, shred with two forks and then return to the crock pot so it can warm up again. Taste for seasoning, add salt if needed.

Then serve with these:
    Tortilla chips
    chopped Green onions
    shredded cheese
    chopped avocado
    sour cream
    Hot sauce
  11. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    I like pan seared pork chops that finish cooking in a crock pot with sliced apples,
    butter, a little brown sugar, some cinnamon. Simple, but seriously tasty. Oh and by
    the way, there are some killer recipes in the new (free!!!) Costco cookbook; lots of
    salmon recipes in there too.
    Trying to decide which ones to spoil my children with on Christmas morning.
  12. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Bradley that just reminded me. I don't make it that often anymore. But will do a quick sear on pork chops and slow cook them submerged in Spanish rice. Let it cook all day on low. The chops are super moist and fall off the bone.
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    Crockpot spare ribs. So damn tender.
  14. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +414 / 0
    Crock pot country gravy cooked overnight for breakfast used to be pretty common at my house. Made with homemade sage-fennel-garlic sausage, seriously tasty.