Favorite moments and books.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Big Ben, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Big Ben Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Since I'm not currently making any memorable moments with the slow fishing and a terminally ill father-in-law, I thought I'd ask for some of yours. I've been reading the heck out of John Gierach and also checked out "An Honest Angler" by SG Hackle. Hackle was kinda confusing and is probably an acquired taste. Gierach is my favorite and "Trout Bum" made my Winter. As for favorite moments I have to share one in particular.
    Early Fall at Goose Lake and I am anchored up in my 12' johnboat half-assing a midge. My two cattle dogs and I are watching a very attractive lady flyfishing from her Fish Cat. She's having moderate success and her skill is enviable. Soon a couple of trollers go between us a little too close for comfort so I remind them that its a pretty big lake and there's no need to crowd anyone else. Five yrs as a Bering Sea Crabber (with a face to prove it) and my 6'2", #225 frame have made me a little quick to assert myself sometimes. The two hyenas I run with also discourage any prolonged arguments. Anyway, the two "Wedding Ring Romeos" complete with Ford Fenders and beer courage decide to share their wealth of fishing prowess (CONT)
  2. Big Ben Guest

with the float tube fox. "How many dyud catch?" they asked her between Winston inhales and Hamm's burps. Naturally the pristine water was their personal ashtray. "Oh, a few I guess," she replied. "Yeah? We gotta a whole bunch on worms and wedding rings." They, of course told her this loud enough for the entire Gifford Pinchot to hear. Without missing a beat, she responed sarcastically: "Wow, that's REALLY amazing, I'm not good enough at fishing yet to troll, but when I am, I'll be sure to come out here, get drunk, and run my boat over everyone else's lines just like you guys." Stunned, the two yokels looked back at me as I laughed hysterically. They kept to the far side of the lake the rest of the day and I offered the young lady my gratitude and a Sprite. Later the fishing picked up and I enjoyed a running conversation with her while we fished a pretty good spinner hatch. Being married, the story stops here, but it was a wonderful moment that keeps me smiling through our families tough time and a long winter. Please post back some of your best times, or favorite fishing books/stories. I need em'
  3. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    Sorry to hear about your family member - its always rough.

A Favorite book - The River Why?

A Favorite moment - This past November, after my much awaited departure from Kansas, I head for Idaho (home). A best friend (a school teacher) skips school and we put the drift boat in the Henry's Fork above Ashton. There is at least a foot of snow on the ground and it is COLD. The snow on the banks was just peppered with tiny midges. We are floating peacefully along, both of us just Frozen. All the sudden, there are Dorsal Fins everywhere around us. We beach the boat, jump in, and the Fishing was spectacular - for about an hour. That hour re-united great friends, with other great friends - the Henry's Fork Rainbows. Once they quit rising to our midges, we retired to the drift boat, no longer freezing to the bone. There were nothing but smiles in the boat after that little bout of fishing. Mind you - Kansas is not a place for a clear water trout fly fisherman. I knew at that moment that I was home again. After that, we didnt really care about fishing, My buddy pulled a small flask from his vest containing some good scotch. We just sat in the boat, drifted the rest of the way, and shot the breeze. Virtually my whole time in the serivce, I havent been able to flyfish - especially up there with my friend Mel. That day reunited me with my long lost flyfishing and a true friend. Now I am in Washington doing just that - Flyfishing!!
  4. aaron j Member

La Conner, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Ditto on The River Why by David James Duncan

Favorite moment:

A few years back, I was tubing on Dry Falls lake on a typical beautiful and tranquil fall day. The fish were being selective as usual, and I was drifting across the middle, bouncing a leech along the bottom. There were probably a dozen or so other tubers, and a few in boats as well. Two guys were in a ten-foot aluminum boat around the corner in a shallow bay. They apparently had been drinking for awhile, as you could hear them kicking the empty beer cans around in the bottom of their craft, and slamming shut the cooler every fifteen minutes.
    Well, they weren't catching anything, and one of the two started antagonizing the other. Pretty soon it was an all-out war of words, the two nimrods throwing every foul epithet their pea brains could think of at each other. Since it was a dead calm day, you could hear everything the two said all the way back to the state park. I looked over to my right and a guy with a boatload of kids sat dismayed, unable to protect his children from the ugly scene these guys were making.
    Finally it came to a head, and the idiot at the rear of the boat stood up. The other one did too, and took a step toward his partner. With all the weight aft, the boat's bow almost immediately pointed skyward, and everything dumped into the lake. It was quite a circus watching these two trying to grab their rods and gear. A smattering of applause erupted around the lake, but no one rushed over to help them.
    They made it to shore alright, and I kicked back in to the parking lot, nailing a nice 18" inch brown on the way. Slapstick show and a nice trout--I'd call that a good day (and a little divine justice).
    aaron j
  5. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    Favorite books? Too many good ones to have a favorite. Have quite a few at the office - by Gierlach, Dennis, Wetherell, Duncan, Haig-Brown & Traver.

Some nonfishing books include - Young Men & Fire, A Life on the Edge & A Walk in the Woods. The Endurance is a great read on survival.

Aaron, loved the story on Dry Falls. There is justice in the world....
  6. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +148 / 0
    Many years ago, my buddy Bubba and I were fishing at a resort on a little Stevens County lake on a balmy Saturday evening. We rented a little wooden rowboat and rowed across to a point off a little inlet stream and threw out the coffee can anchor. We baited up single eggs, crimped on a split shot and let them soak. At dusk the brookies really started biting. We were pulling in one after another. Bubba says, "This is great! How about we come back here next Saturday?" I said "Sure, I can make it. Sounds like a good idea."

Next thing I know, there's a big splash and I look over at Bubba and he's gone. I thought he'd fallen in. I peered over the side, couldn't see him, but then I realized he was right under the boat. He surfaced with a big wheeze, grabbed the side of the boat and pulled his soggy ass over the side.

"Jebus, Bubba, what happened?" I asked.

"Oh, well, I was just marking the bottom of the boat so we'd be able to find this spot next Saturday, " he said.

I felt my face flush with anger. I threw down my beer can. "You dumb ass!" I yelled at him. "How do you know we're going to get the same boat?"

We never did find that spot again.
  7. Big Ben Guest

Thanks guys! Love Dry Falls.

I started flyfishing so I could fish great places like that. Family is rolling into town so its nice to see some familiar faces. I really appreciate the book recs also.:beer1 I don't drink anymore, so if anyone asks, it's ROOT beer OK?
  8. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +181 / 0
    Here's some favorite moments:

1) First time I ever flyfished, on the upper Deschutes (OR, not WA), catching a couple of bright, 8 inch redsides on some huge borrowed stick (I think it was a 7 weight). Suckered me into thinking that this pursuit was not only fun, but not that difficult. It's been downhill ever since (not really - just doesn't seem as easy as I thought it was going to be, though 100x more fun).

2) Fishing the Stilly one summer and watching an eagle take a big fish out of the river about a hundred yards downstream. (I myself was skunked).

3) Fishing Dry Falls one spring and watching an osprey take a nice fish out of the lake. (Also caught some fish so that was an extra bonus.)

4) Fishing the Snoqualmie above Fall City and seeing all sorts of creatures from time to time I wouldn't expect to see in that semi-urban setting such as eagles, beavers, a coyote and a 2-point buck that swam right down the middle of the big pool across from the big retaining wall by Pott's Landing by the dawn's early light. (Usually skunked, but hey, it's the Snoqualmie.)

5) Fishing until midnight or one in the morning in Alaska and still hitting the sack while the sun was still shining. (Lots of big fish.)

6) Fishing the South Fork of the Snake, watching a big cutt come out from under a log jam to take a bug off the surface, and nailing him a few seconds later with a 40 foot pinpoint cast I'm usually incapable of making.

7) Numerous fishing experiences with my older brothers and/or dad - we're all pretty different folks but find common ground in the pursuit of beautiful fish with fly rods.

On books, I will second (or third) The River Why by David James Duncan. On the Spine of Time by Harry Middleton is pretty good reading, too. Steelhead Country by Steve Raymond is excellent and I hear that both Year of the Trout and Year of the Angler by Raymond are supposed to be good (will read them when I get through the stack of about 10 flyfishing books on the floor next to my bed). I read a lot of Gierach last year but sounds like you've got that pretty well covered. I know this is a somewhat hackneyed choice, but A River Runs Through It is a pretty fine read.
  9. Kringle New Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Gierach is my personal favorite. I haven't had much time for fishing either lately,been working like a dog to buy a new house. All that will be done in March so I'm planning on being out on the water as often as possible come Spring. My favorite momemt happenned two years ago. My father-in-law has a place out in Bozeman. First time I flyfished up in the Hyalite canyon up the road from his place I caught(and released) a 6 inch rainbow!!! This after two practice sessions on the front lawn. It's his fault I'm now hooked(sorry bad choice of words) on this sport. I love him for it. I hope your father-in-law is as comfortable and pain free as possible. I work in an ER so I understand what you are going through. Treasure every day and always try to find the positive side of things.
    Kringle:D
  10. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +710 / 0
    books: Haig-Brown, Tom McGuane,Harry Middleton.
    Moment:
    I drove down the Atlantic Coast just ahead of a huge ocean front. Ended up on Hatteras at three am. Wind was 60 knots and the sand blew right up to my hubcaps. Had to get towed out. rained like hell three days, violent storm, wires down- water was coffee brown and the surf was rageing. I slept in my sand drifted car eating peanut butter sandwiches and drinking coffee and reading. Fourth afternoon I ventured forth into a calming sky, seas soft and gentle, tide running half in, I start casting for stripers,mullet running along the beach. Im hip deep in the rolling saltwater and the sunset is treaking the sky a glorius red-orange, flaming display. The air is just right. And a Dolphin swam up to me and looked me right in the eye.
  11. topflight121 Josh Pearson

Richland, WA
    I would have to say that my favorite fishing moments happened this year. Every saturday that the chum were running in Minter Creek, I would get up and get my 21 month old daughter dressed in some warm clothes. We would spend hours watching the chum run up the creek. She would point at every chum and look at me with her big eyes and smile and say "fish" I don't think that I will ever see someone more excited to go see the fish than my daughter.
    This last christmas my aunt and uncle got Emma a tweety bird fishing rod. My wife and I took her down to the creek for some photos of her and her little rod. She stood right at the waters edge trying her hardest to catch one of the chum. She would cast the rod like I showed her in the living room of the house. Lucky for me I never put anything on the end of her line, those chum weighed at much as she does.
  12. greyghost Member

Coastal Rivers, OR
    Favorite book; I will have to risk sounding repetitive and go with "The River Why". Duncan is such a great storyteller.

favorite moments: Way too many flyfishing memories to list on this server space! There are probably 8 or 10 from 2002 that really stand out here are two;

1. Waking up on a cold, sunny morning on a beach in a wilderness area in Alaska, watching salmon sharks and seals chase schools of salmon which would explode in the shallow water 30 ft from shore. Then, following fresh Grizzly tracks to a small stream and watching waves of fish ride in on the rising tide. Catching salmon after salmon, some of which would run back into the open ocean, until I put down the eight wt, picked up the five wt and started catching big dollies on every other cast. That is, until the chums and pinks decided to devour almost every egg and nymph pattern I had in my box. Later that day, I taught my buddy how to flyfish. After an hour of casting and presentation instruction, he was hooking fish after fish...

2. Standing on miles of empty beach at 2 AM on Martha's Vineyard on a warm June night. Clear skies and stars were above me, but I was watching a lightning storm 100 miles North near Boston. The tide was falling, sweeping sand eels and bunker of the beach. I couldn't see more than 10 ft, but I could hear the slurping and popping of stripers devouring their prey. I ended up catching my first 3 "keepa" stripers that night along with a few schoolies, blues, and plenty of shad. Not bad for my second day of Saltwater flyfishing.
  13. corvus corax New Member

I took my 3 daughters out to the Yakima on a warm sunny fall day a couple years back. While the two oldest, not wanting to fish, frolicked in the water upstream I waded out up to my knees in a shallow riffle with my youngest firmly affixed to my leg. Questions quickly filled the air from her 5 year old brain like a Deschutes caddis hatch in July. I rigged my rod, tied on a bug and began casting toward a soft spot in the riffle. As I was so busy explaining everything I was doing to a chorus of "why dad?"s I barely noticed that my fly had disappeared from the surface. I lifted my rod and felt the line tighten to a 19" rainbow that jumped several times and tore upstream. I brought the fish to hand, let my daughter look and touch, then gingerly released the little football. I went back to casting. Nina mumbled about needing something, released her grip on my leg and headed back to and across the broad cobbled beach. Several minutes later I felt the familiar tug on my shorts. I turned around to see her with a stick slightly longer than she was tall. "Dad, I have a fishing pole now. I just need some string and one of those fly thingies." I figured I'd humor her so I pulled out a 12' leader and affixed it to the end of her "rod". I looked to select a fly for her. My mind went back to my father and the cheap gaudy Chinese flies that he would give my brother and I so that his good flies didn't end up spending the rest of their lives in the streamside brush. I selected one of my best bugs, tied it on, and directed her to cast it into a foamy seam. I looked around for her sisters and before you could say Californica Pteronacys she started shrieking, "I got one Dad, I got one!!" I turned around to watch her strip a 6" cutthroat to her hand. This was too much for her sisters to ignore. They both came splashing out to inspect her quarry and immediately began negotiating to relieve her of the rod. The three of them managed to catch a couple more all the while arguing over whose turn was next. Later as we were leaving Nina looked at me and said "Dad, I sure had fun fishing. Let's call that our special spot so nobody else will know where it is." And so we do.
  14. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I wouldnt call this one a favorite moment, rather a memorable moment:
    I was out on a little fly only, no motors lake in NE Washington with buddy of mine fly fishing from the good old canoe. I was in back and my buddy was perched up front. We had just finished rowing to the area we wanted to fish and my buddy had just tied on a number 18 royal coachman. After he was done tying he began fishing. His first cast came around the left side of my side and wrapped all the way around to the right side, slapping my nose with the fly. I was not as fortunate with the second cast. I yelped after being whipped but it did not stop the inevitable. His second cast wrapped around again but this time it snagged my right eyelid. This time it was more than a yelp, however it was too late. My buddy, who was at this point my worst enemy, had already began his forward momentum of this cast. The force twisted my head around and about capsized the canoe. The barb had poked through and was scrapping my eye itself. This feeling is not one that I can explain, nor the method in which the flyhad to be removed. Needless to say sunglasses are a must since then.

~Patrick ><>
  15. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    Now that story cant help but bring a smile to one's face. That is AWESOME!!! :D
  16. Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

One of my favorite moments is truly something that I can't believe myself. I had just gotten through a divorce and was starting to see this girl. She knew I that fishing was my life and so she asked what type of rod/reel she should get so that we could spend more time together. We went out and picked out a rod/line and all of the accessories and agreed to meet the next day at a small stream. The next day we drove to the stream, got out and set up the rod. I gave her a quick 10 minute lesson on how to cast and we headed to the stream. I figured she could spend the rest of the day practicing.

Once we were to the river, I pointed out the most likely spot a fish would hold, which was only 10-15 feet away. Her very first cast of a fly onto water landed perfectly and a little 8 inch trout rose and took her offering. She landed the little guy and released it. Now what are the chances of someone making their first cast onto water and catching a fish? Needless to say I took this as a sign and married this girl, who today casts a very fine line.

Skinny
  17. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I second this story...having a daughter myself, I have vast appreciation for this story and hope that some day I too will be in that special spot. :thumb :thumb
    ~Patrick ><>
  18. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    The library got a few new ones this Christmas. Try reading "Forgotton Flies" on the can. My arm gets tired trying to hold it.

The best moment that comes to mind sometimes isn't the act of flyfishing but the trips on the way to the river. I remember my ex and I on the way North to the Missouri after moderate luck in Ennis for a week and having some real nice evening hatches. I knew the fly of choice on the Missouri would be the PMD emerger. As we drove north, I tied flies in the passenger seat of the Subaru. I managed to get out a half dozen crude emergers tied on a scud hook and litte chopped off gold goose biots for emerger wings. The tail was a rusty dubbing combed and cut to simulate a shuck. The body was cream yellow and it had 3 turns of dun hackle in front of the wings.

After the first day I had already hooked probably 20 fish and landed 10. (Mind you it was my first day on a new river) The fish fought like one salt steelhead and I used the emerger as a dry and a nymph and had great luck.

After 3 more days of deep sunburns and blizzard caddis hatches in the evening, our trip was over. We spent 3 and 1/2 weeks in Montana with my pontoon boat strapped to the car rack and money only for food and gas.

Best damn trip I can remember.
  19. DryFlyBudha New Member

Long Beach, wa, usa.
    Book "A River Runs Through It" by Norman MacClean

I know its kind of an automatic choice but no one else mentioned it ... And besides, it is a fantastic book. (The movie isn't bad either ...)
    -DryFlyBudha

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"
  20. Big Ben Guest

Ted Leeson's: "Farthest Distance Between Two Points" Its a short story I found in a collection. Superb, and its about my childhood stomping grounds. Crane Prarie, Fall River, Chickohaminy.:thumb