Favorite online shops for tying equipment

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by JohnB, Mar 16, 2014.

1. JohnB

JohnB Member

I just moved to a place where I'm about 100 miles from the nearest well stocked fly shop. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent online shops for ordering some tying stuff? It seems like most places I find on google have about 2/3 of what I want and I'd rather not have to mess around with multiple orders from several stores.

2. I frequently use Waters West even though I have other shops near me.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I buy from a local shop, but the Feather Craft website is really comprehensive. Some folks like to "show room" at a local shop and then order online. I use Feather Craft to do the reverse.

4. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Waters west is amazing. They have a lot of in house dyed stuff that is all top notch. At least then you don't get stuck with the reject packs that every one picks through on the shelves. Plus its a small business and a site sponsor. Definitely the highest quality and most comprehensive selection of feathers and fur out of the western wa shops. I can't wait till I have to drive through Port Angeles again, even though they have an online store

6. Russ Kendall

Russ Kendall Member

Bob Marriotts in Fullerton, CA carry almost anything for tying. I try to buy from Ellensburg area fly shops, but the service is so-so. If Bob Marriotts doesn't have it on their shelves (rarely happens), they can get it quickly. Caddis Fly Shop in Eugene, OR is also has outstanding service and selection. Just my 2c.

7. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

The stuff I've got from Waters West has been top notch. The orders have been filled almost instantly. At my doorstep 2 days later.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  8. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

+1 for Feathercraft. but i do try to buy locally if possible.

9. I'm still kind of new to tying and until a few months ago most of my tying involved marabou. I picked a few traditional patterns I'd like to tie and talked to the people at Waters West who assembled "kits" for me. I guess most shops might do that but I was very happy with the service. Also, I've never found nicer marabou and fox than what I get from them.

Ron McNeal, Patrick Gould and flybill like this.
  10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Another vote for Waters West.
    One other option to consider is Barlows Tackle. They cater more towards bass fishing, but sell a variety of hooks and fly tying materials.
    Tons of different rubber kits you can use for legs if you tie bass bugs. Their customer service is top notch.
    http://www.barlowstackle.com/Jig-Tying-and-Fly-Tying-Material-C19.aspx
    SF

Ron McNeal likes this.
  11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

For hooks and most of my beads I go with Allen. For all my other beads, I go with RipLips.

DennisE likes this.
  12. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Another vote for Waters west. I have been dealing with Dave for over 15 years. First by mail when I lived in Montana and now I get to go in to the shop and spend more money then I had planned.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  13. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

The Red Shed is my local shop and covers almost all my needs. Poppy is great and I will also have him send things up when I do not have time for the hour drive each way. If he doesn't have materials I need for tying then I go to Waters West. Can't add anything to what has already been said about WW, just great to deal with. Rare when those two cannot cover what I need. Tend to use Schoff and Anglers workshop for rod building. I've used flyfishusa, the gorge fly shop, caddisfly, leland and red truck for things over the years and no real complaints. I try to use more local to get things as soon as I can. The big online dealers jstockard, feathercraft can have screaming deals at times. I have used them when I buy hooks because I like to buy in 100 packs.

14. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

I second the "caddis" mention; they're really quick too. They seem to be quick to pick up new items/materials also.

15. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Another great shop to order from, and a sponsor of this Forum, is Pacific Fly Fishers in Mill Creek. I've placed on-line orders from them on a Sunday afternoon and had the stuff in my PO Box on Tuesday, two days later! And the orders were always complete, no back-orders...

16. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I too am about 100 miles from a fly shop and have to order on line. Using multiple suppliers is almost essential as no one shop seems to carry everything you want. To complicate things some on line outfits show an item in their catalog but then have it drop shipped from the actual supplier. You really want to avoid those guys or be prepared for some long waits. I get most of my stuff form either Feathercraft or JStockard. Some of Feathercraft's stuff has not been as advertised though. Stockard has a good on line catalog that is easy to negotiate. Since I am a steady customer and have an account there ordering is dead simple and delivery prompt.

Probably one of the easiest items to get screwed on is tungsten beads. Prices are all over the map with some outfits apparently thinking those gold beads are the real thing. Any advice on reasonably priced beads would be welcome indeed.

Ive

17. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

In no particular order:
    theflyshop.com
    waterswest.com
    flyfishusa.com (the fly fishing shop)
    sportsmanswherehouse.com hahaha, just kidding.

18. BN2FSH

BN2FSH New Member

I regularly order from:
    saltwaterflies.com
    bearsden.com
    saltwateredge.com

When I can't find what I want locally.