Favorite PFD?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Matthew Gulbranson, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

I wear what Ed has. I bought mine for ocean passages on small sailboats and it is made so that even tropical downpours and green water across the boats cockpit won't inflate it. You have to go into the water for it to activate, you want it to inflate if the boom sweeps across the deck knocking you unconscious and overboard. It also has a manual activation. It allows very active freedom of movement and is lightweight.
    Got mine at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Not cheap, but what's your life worth to you?

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Get something that you will wear. A good fit is important.
    I find that mine is barely noticeable when I'm out on the water, and doesn't interfere at all with paddling or rowing. Kayak vests have high backs that clear the tops of most seat backs, and are designed to be non-restrictive.

3. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    I ALWAYS wear a PFD while floating. Too many well-documented statistics for me to go without.

For lakes I use a SOSpenders manual inflatable. Don't notice it while while wearing it.

For any river I use a Type III. I have the Extrasport Sturgeon but found if I put fly boxes in the pockets that it interfered with rowing my Water Master Kodiak. I REALLY like the Extrasport Riptide. It is cut for Kayaking so there is nothing to get in the way of rowing or casting. Two large but slim pockets in the front, Fleece hand warmer pockets inside the armholes on the chest, 4 attachment points that don't interfere with pockets; one I use for a river knife thats only purpose is for potentially cutting an anchor line, another for a whistle. Both of the Extrasport PFDs have their Retro Glide adjustment system that gives a such a good fit it is barely noticeable when I'm wearing it.

BTW, I'm told you are subject to a ticket if you dont have a whistle on your person while floating/fishing.

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I've got the cheap=o orange vests for the mandatory "preserver" requirement, but I also have an offshore auto=inflate with integrated harness for heavy weather when I was sailing. The PFD you like is the one you'll wear.

As an aside, I always got a laugh out of the guys who were so concerned about getting hit in the head by the boom during an accidental jibe in a big boat. Ya know, 25=30 knots of wind, several hundred square feet of sail, and if you're so dumb as to stand straight up and get smacked in the head by that massive boom coming around, keeping your face above water's not going to matter.

5. Greg Armstrong

Alex,

Really?

"As an aside"... I find none of this laughable;

As someone who has spent a number of years commercial fishing in Alaska and witnessed Coast Guard helicopter evacuations from the boat I was on due to injured fellow crew members, and having to help pluck other fishermen out of the cold water up there that had gotten knocked overboard due to weird shit happening, I don't find any of this humorous.
    There are more stories I can share about crossing oceans in sailboats small enough that didn't require a sailor to stand up in order to be hit by the boom in pitching seas, 40 knots of wind, sheets of rain and pitch blackness where you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face while 900+ miles from land, but I won't bore you with that.

Shit happens on boats. Sometimes accidents occur.

In all due respect, I don't know if you've witnessed these kinds of conditions but I seriously doubt you'd find them laughable if you have.

6. Greg Armstrong

Here's the one I've been using for years;

P1030539.JPG P1030541.JPG

7. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

When I was more manly I saw plenty of severe conditions at sea. PFDs became routine wear. Today though I wear a manually inflated Mustang. Very thin and light. I have attached a split ring over one breast for clipping on a tool or two, kind of like a lanyard. Like the above but without the metal life rings.
    I also have two heavier models with the rings for offshore sailing but find it too much for fishing comfort.