Favorite Puget Sound Fish (Salmon or Trout)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,151 / 1
    I was talking with a friend recently about fishing the sound. We got on the subject of what was our favorite salmon or trout to fish for in Puget Sound. His list was completely different then mine. He is a total SRC fanatic.
    There is a pretty diverse group of anglers that post here and fish the sound.
    I was curious what others considered their favorite species to target in Puget Sound?
    Here is my list.

1. Coho
    2. Chum
    3. SRC
    4. Humpy
    5. Chinook

Chinook would be higher on my list but I only seem to catch them when fishing for other species.

Whats you list?
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,221 / 9
    1. Coho (aerial acrobatics and speed to burn)
    2. Chum (plentiful aggressive nasty strong rod breaking bastards)
    3. SRC (most beautiful fish in the sound)
    4. Chinook (love the random hookup)
    5. Pink (only caught one this year)
  3. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have to agree with Mumbles. I have not hooked a Chinook/Chum yet on the fly yet but the storys I hear are cool. Will be right down there with the crowds on the Chum run this year though. I dont mind combat fishing with a fly rod now!
  4. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Sheesh! Good question. Since I am still on my quest to catch an adult coho and chinook I am not sure where to put them on my list. And I know my list changes depending on what time of year it is. So that being said, here is my current list:

1. Chum (I know I can catch them and have caught many. I love these junkyard dogs)
    2. Coho ( I really want to catch one of these this year, anyone want to help me?)
    3. Pinks ( I have caught a handful, and that's what I'm targeting right now)
    4. SRC's ( These fish got me to learn how to fly fish. I love them dearly but have not caught one this year in the sound)
    5. Chinook ( Someday....someday....)
  5. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 8
    1. King, because they are the hardest to target and you won't forget the hookup once you hook into one of these bad boys and girls.
    2. Coho, they go berzerk and the most acrobatic when hooked and you can also get them on top water.
    3. Chum, Great biters and rod breakers, the strongest of the bunch, but not the prettiest or best table fare IMO.
    4. Pinks, great beginner fish and great for the smoker and fun on a lightweight rod.
    5. I don't target SRC too much but a nice surprise when they are found.
    6. Sockeye, is it even possible??? I hear that a fly caught sockeye is pound for pound the hardest fighter of the bunch. I have caught many Kokanee in Colorado, and they are good fighters on the 5 wt.
  6. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    1. Coho
    2. Sea Run Cutthroat Trout
    3. Chum
    4. Pinks('cuz I finally landed some this year)
    5. King (only because I've yet to land one on the fly rod)
    6. And near the top would be steelhead for the one I caught by accident while pursuing SRCs, if I could duplicate it.
  7. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    1. Coastal cutthroat - I like native trout and these fish fit that bill. They are beautiful, hit flies with reckless abandon (at times at least...) and fight harder than just about any fish for their size.
    2. Coho - Very close second with cutthroat, just a fun fish. The way the take flies and what they do once hooked.
    3. Chinook - Night fishing for chinook is fun need I say more
    4. Chum - Big, ugly, strong and return in good numbers = lots of fun.
    5. Pinks - Would score much higher if they weren't just only really around for one month out of 24.
    6. Bull trout - If they ever are opened up to fishing and recovered a bit these would be lots of fun...
  8. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +351 / 0
    Since I've only caught two things I'll have to rank as such:

1. Seagull
    2. Bullhead
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,221 / 9
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  10. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    1. SRC
    2. Pink salmon
    3. flounder
    4. large bullheads
    5. small bullheads
    6. tiny bullheads

Coho, chum, and Chinook salmon would likely score pretty high on the list but I HAVEN'T CAUGHT ONE YET.

Thanks for bringing it up.
  11. Sean Beauchamp Teepee Creatchin'

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +369 / 1
    1) SRC's. the finest gamefish that swims the sound. period. year round, wild, aggressive, beautiful, interesting, unpredictable, and addicting.
    2) coho. the take man the take. and that leaping freakout 20 feet into your backing where your fly line is pointed left and the fish is cartwheeling way right. priceless. they are quick with the direction changes and have enough "moves" to keep you on your toes. but really its all about the shark attack. bucktailing, casting, subsurface, poppers its all good.
    3) pinks. cause who doesnt enjoy a 20 fish day on 3-6lb salmon?
    4) kings. i only ever hook them when targeting another species and while ive never got a toad the lingering possibility makes every cast on the beach interesting. planning to get into the winter blackmouth game come november.
    5) steelhead. cause im planning to dedicate some time to finding one this winter.
  12. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    SRCs
    Kings
    Coho
  13. Dizane Coast to Coast

Bellevue, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    1) SRC
    2) Kings
    3) Coho
  14. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Kings/blackmouth
    coho
    srcs
  15. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +38 / 0
  16. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +348 / 1
    1. SRC
    2. Silvers
    3. Rockfish (coppers, calicos etc)
    4. Kings
  17. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    1) Coho
    2) Chummies
    3) Coastal Cutts
    4) Humbolt Squid
  18. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +287 / 1
    I haven't ever caught a Sockeye in the salt but I've been to Alaska many times for the Sockeye run on the Russian River and I can tell you that they fight like no other salmon species I have ever caught and along with the current of the river, they will bend a 10 wt. rod in half. They taste the best , in my opinion, also.
  19. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +175 / 2
    1) big sea-run cutthroat
    [IMG]

2) everything else...
  20. golfman65 dude...

blaine wa.
    Ratings: +86 / 0
    Thomas, that doesn't look like your Meiser?

Since I am king of the by catch...I can't list any fav's though winter rezzies are pretty cool when they torpedo just under the surface after your popper...
    I would so like to hook into an SRC to see what the fuss is about..their river cousins are about the lamest fighters in the world, beautiful but pretty lame..
    So I guess my list is right up there with Big E's.

rezzie ho's
    Greenling
    lingcod
    bullheads

God I need a trip up north and my steelhead fix...this sucks!!!