Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Favorite Smallmouth Bass Fly

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Eric B 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm writing Fly Fishing for Western Smallmouth for Stackpole Books (the same publisher of the Bob Clouser books). I've got my favorite patterns and you surely do as well. One section of my book will include fly patterns, recipes and tips on how to fish the fly. If you'd like to be included, please send a copy of the fly, the recipe and your fishing tips to David Paul Williams, PO Box 1436 Bellevue WA 98009. Make sure to include your contact information so proper credit can be given.

Many thanks,
DPW

#3 ·
Great looking Bugs Brad and cool that you are writing a book David. Let me know if you get down this way. I am surrounded by great smallmouth water down here in Se Oregon......the Snake reservoirs and the lower portions of most of the tributaries, John Day river. The problem seems to be targeting the bigger fish because there are tons of little ones. Let me know when your book is out David.

#8 ·
Great looking Bugs Brad and cool that you are writing a book David. Let me know if you get down this way. I am surrounded by great smallmouth water down here in Se Oregon......the Snake reservoirs and the lower portions of most of the tributaries, John Day river. The problem seems to be targeting the bigger fish because there are tons of little ones. Let me know when your book is out David.
Will keep you posted. I've got a piece on Umpqua River smallmouth coming out next year in Northwest Fly Fishing. Am off to Arizona this weekend for more smallie field research.

#14 ·
My favorite pattern is Rich Osthoff's Bobbing Baitfish in gold or silver.
You should contact him to see if he'd like to submit it for your book.
It is a great smallmouth pattern, but works well for other species as well.
You can find a picture of his fly in this link.
http://richosthoff.com/2378.html
I looked at the site for his flies. Super cool pattern. I have a question about a technique he mentioned:

Mylar tubing is stretched over a buoyant foam underbody. I like to belly a sinking line below the fly and fish it near bottom with arm-length strips and 3-second pauses. With each strip the fly dives following the path of the line. With each pause the fly buoys upward. It's a remarkably snag-free method of staying in the critical bottom zone.

Not to be a bone head, but does this mean just to tie a few feet of sinking line off the end of your hook like for a dropper and drag it along? Or ??? Would you add some tippet off the end of the hook first for less visibility. I be confused!?

#15 ·
Eric,
He is just saying that he has a belly in his line, so the fly is actually floating up above the line. With each strip, the belly in the line straightens out which makes the fly dive. On the pause the fly floats up while the belly of the line forms again below the fly. Thus the up and down bobbing action of the fly.
Hope this helps.
SF

#24 ·
Slowest reply ever for me!:) Thanks for answering the "belly" question. I'm very much looking forward to some small mouth fishing in the spring and summer this year. Didn't get a chance in 2012 at all. All these patterns and suggestions for presentation have me very motivated to put in some serious time. Had some great moments with small mouth on the Columbia in 2011. Look forward to more this year. Thank you all for your input!!

#16 ·
Hey David, congrats on the contract. I primarily fish the main Umpqua in Oregon for smallies and the subsurface patterns that work the best for me are a Bitch Creek and a Girdle Bug (tied in olive instead of black). As these are common patterns, it doesn't seem logical to send the flies to you for the book.

However, when it comes to surface patterns, I like these pencil poppers made with Rainy's foam bodies. If someone hasn't already sent you pencil poppers, I'd be happy to send a few your way. Just PM me if you're interested.

#17 ·
Hey David, congrats on the contract. I primarily fish the main Umpqua in Oregon for smallies and the subsurface patterns that work the best for me are a Bitch Creek and a Girdle Bug (tied in olive instead of black). As these are common patterns, it doesn't seem logical to send the flies to you for the book.

However, when it comes to surface patterns, I like these pencil poppers made with Rainy's foam bodies. If someone hasn't already sent you pencil poppers, I'd be happy to send a few your way. Just PM me if you're interested.

[/quoteThose poppers are the bomb. Send them along, por favor.

#23 ·
Having lived in serious Smallmouth country for 4 years, I would have to say the 2 fles I used that took more fish than any other hands down were the Booglebug Mossy Green Large Popper, and the Klouser Crawfish. I'd often popper dropper the setup. Man I miss those fish. Just unbelievable patterns.

Let me know when the book goes to print. I'll be first inline to buy a copy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.