Favorite streamer....articulated or not..

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by tinman207, Jun 22, 2014.

1. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

I have always been a diehard nympher, but last year and this year I started throwing more streamers. Initially it was to develop more skills for my toolbox, but more time spent tying led me to dreaming of big hogs slamming streamers. I was wondering what peoples favorite streamers are to use and to tie.
    I am sitting at the vice right now working on a Galloup's Sex Dungeon.

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Great fly. Anything big and articulated gets my vote.
    Sex dungeon is a grata fly,!as is the trophy wife. Check out " flyfishing the ozarks" on YouTube. Great video of SBS for a TON of different streamers for BIG trout
    Streamer fishing isn't a numbers game like nymphing- but if the tug is your drug (like mine) then #s don't matter at all.

3. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Sounds cool....I'll check that video out. You explained what I have been thinking perfectly....one day last year I was pulling these 12-16" bows out of a plunge pool on the Cedar, and knew there was something bigger down there, having seen them and caught a few from that spot. I kept looking at the way the water was crushing over a big flat rock, and pictured a small fish getting stunned going over that and into some awaiting jaws below. I tied on an articulated rainbow pattern I had carted around in a box for years, and second cast all hell broke loose. I only saw the side and a tail the size of my open hand, and its haunted me ever since.

4. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    I've tied some, and bought too many, and always seem to come back to the basic Muddler or some variation of it. That pattern is really hard to beat. An "oldie but goodie" as it's been said.

So many patterns these days, catch more fisherman than fish... not to mention the pain you feel when losing one.

5. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Circus peanuts and spring creek specials with or without a sculpin helmet smacked on the front

6. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    hmm before i would have agreed with most the above, and still do, but after becoming a bonafied streamer nut the past year or so and filling a box the the size of a small briefcase packed full with streamers i'd prolly drive myself insane trying to choose a single pattern.

Kaiserman likes this.
  7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I use this one. Not really fancy and honestly, just a Hornberg with one mallard flank feather tied on the top instead of one each on the sides.

Because it is tied sparse, I call it a Spartan. You can tie it with or without a black cone head. Sizes 4-10.

26306529.jpg

8. Kaiserman

Yeah, that's so true! What's that other thing "they say"...? Whatever you fish, fish with confidence. I've learned that with steelhead, and (to some point) when throwing streamers, I imagine that may apply as well.

I tie up streamers with legs, flash, what have you - but in the end, when it's being stripped through the water, it doesn't look anything like it does on the vise.

That's when I think it's a matter of size and/or color. Then again, what do I know? Maybe it's just the mood the fish is in?

9. Kaiserman

Isn't it funny Gene, how the simplest of patterns can be the best? Take the 'ol Doc Spratley for instance.

10. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

11. Kaiserman

dude... that almost doesn't seem fair :p

I'm already planning my next "tying session". :D