Favorite (swinging) Inland Steelhead patterns??

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Panhandle, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,681 / 0
    Bigtj,

Except that a Silver Hilton isn't a hairwing. But let's not sweat the small stuff; keep pitchin' that bunny!

Sg
  2. inland Active Member

Ratings: +49 / 0
    TJ-

Applying the same logic why cast a cats tail when you don't have to? Speaking of the Columbia Basin east of Bonn.- sometimes I am amazed at how effective the little tiny stuff is. A size 6 or 8 with 15 hackle fibers and a tiny feather wing, floss or tinsel body, and fished right under the surface with 100' sweeps. Yet the fish go gaga over them as if it were a cats tail. On a few streams even when the water cools into the high 30's. I have even downsized my dries to 6's. Nothing like a mid to high teens fish engulphing a little wet in the surface...or better yet AGGRESSIVELY sucking down a tiny moose turd.

William
  3. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +460 / 0
    I'm with Salmo, the Spade is my go-to pattern (wet or greased-line) for summer steelhead, east or west. I tie it with a dubbed body and often add a short butt of orange, fluorescent green or kingfisher blue.
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Preston,

I love the story of the creation of the Spade fly almost as much as I love the pattern itself. I just wish the two collaborators would get it straight. Best I understand is that Jerry Wintle was the brainchild, but seeing as how he loved to bum flies, or con someone else into tying for him, he explained his idea for a simple dark fly to Bob Arnold, who then tied the first one for Jerry. It was fish on at the Elbow Hole, and the fly has been a northwest staple ever since as far as I know. John Farrar was the first one I ever saw add an accent colored butt to the pattern, when we were fishing the Morice long ago, along the lines of the Skunk.

Altho it was first tied with a chenile body, and works just fine that way, I also prefer a dubbed body.

Sg
  5. Will Atlas Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Salmo, isnt alec jackson frequently associated with the spade? Its so great the angling tradition we have here in the Northwest. I just cant get over the romance of catching a wild steelhead on a brads brat or another legendary pattern on the same water as our forefathers did some 70 years ago or more.
  6. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    The Purpil Peril, Hellcat, Purple Floozy (for a little weight) and the Skunk either red or green floss butted used to be my top flies in summer. The Hellcat gave me some great mornings on the SF of the Stilly up around Red Bridge for a good run of summers. I actually had a few that Frank had tied and were given to me by Bob Headrick and it was pretty humbling to hook a few nice summer runs stomping around with the same flies tied by the same trailblazers who made this sport what it is. I spent some incredible mornings, with the sun coming up and me sitting on a rock somewhere and thinking about how special our history and rivers really are. I would think about the fish I had just released and imagine Enos, and Ralph and Walt fishing that same run 50 years ago. Just the river talking, no other sounds. That is a moment as close to perfection that this imperfect being will ever experience. Tight lines Coach :beer2:
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    WA,

Alec's association would be with more aesthetic Spade ties. I don't know that anyone ties a better looking sample than he does. I think Jerry and Bob created the Spade in '68, maybe '67. First time I know of Alec waving a fly rod at steelhead was in '73.

Forefathers sounds so George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. I don't think they fly fished. Certainly not for steelhead. I'm an irreverent lout. I've tied a few Brad's brats, Skykomish Sunrise, Purple Peril and others. But I fished them and lost them. I settled on the Skunk (Wes Drain and maybe simultaneously tied by Howell in OR) for a number of years. But when I ran into Martin Tolley on the Morice and saw that he had brought two fly boxes for a full three weeks fishing, and he had one fly pattern filling both boxes, I came to realize the Spade is not only an easy, but very effective dressing. I've probably tied more of Walt Johnson's red shrimp and Sid Glasso's patterns than anybody else's, excepting the Spade.

Sg
  8. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +460 / 0
    I almost made some mention of "Wintle's Western Wizard" but since, until the publication of Art Lingren's Fly Patterns of British Columbia, I always knew it as the Spade I didn't. According to Wintle, the creation of the fly was a joint effort of himself, Jim Lewis, Art Smith and Bob Arnold. Perhaps significantly, Arnold makes no mention of this in the chapter entitled The Cult of the Spade in his book Steelhead Water. He only mentions that, "The next day I tried Spade downstream, in the hole it was designed for -- the Manure Spreader. Jerry Wintle was there. I hooked an adult steelhead and lost it. Jerry wanted to see my fly. I showed it to him".

As does Coach, I like to fish some of the traditional northwest steelhead patterns. Many of them are attractive as well as effective. One of my favorites (and apparently one of Coach's too) is Frank Headrick's Hellcat. Frank, by the way, is alive and well and frequently attends meetings of the Washington Fly Fishing Club at the age of 98.
  9. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Preston,

Thanks for the tidbit about the Spade. I never thought to ask Bob for a complete version of the story. It's really nice to hear that Frank is still among the quick. I haven't seen him in many years.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  10. Will Atlas Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Preston,
    is that a photo of the Hellcat?
  11. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Will go find a copy of the softcover Steelhead Flyfishing (the version before the "bible" sized edition) and there is more steelhead hairwings from A to Z then you can ever tie and fish. Frank Headrick also tied the Haille Sallasse which I believe was a black fly. The Headrick family also like the self-tied Carey in the summer. Frank is in that Combs book, and in Come Wade the River. His son Bob is the guy crossing the river on the cover of Steelhead Country by Steve Raymond, who incidentally owns a summer cabin right next to Bob on what is left of the famed Elbow Hole in Oso. That stretch of cabins below the Oso store is arguably the most hallowed steelhead ground in our state. Walt Johnson lived across the river and Enos Bradner, Wes Drain, Frank Headrick, Sandy Bacon, and many other great ones worked that area traditionally starting after July 4th. Many of them bought cabins and raised their families each summer on that stretch of the NF Stilly. In fact because of the efforts of the Washington Fly Club, the NF Stilly became the first fly-only water I think in the nation. Fittingly so, Enos Bradner of Brad's Brat fame was the first flyfisherman to land a steelhead with the new rules, but not after he had recieved two speeding tickets on his way to the river! Not too long ago when Mike Kinney came over from his OP home, he was living in Oso in a communal cabin rasing his son and bathing in the river. It is safe to say that Mike took over the "Riverkeeper" title from the aformentioned legends for many years. If you really want to talk history, the immortal Zane Grey in the late 1900s and the legendary Roderick Haig Brown (I think in the 20s-30s) caught their first steelhead in Deer Creek. Grey caught his on the fly and Haig Brown on a Devonshire Minnow while working for a lumber camp crew. Preston and Les go way back on that river and could fill in many more blanks I have missed. I am sure Curt (Smalma) and Salmo cut their teeth a bit up in that area also. I remember fishing with Tom Darling and we took a break. He started reminiscing about when he used to race up to the Stilly after work and know he was going to hook a fish. That wasn't too long ago, the late 70s. At 38, I still wear diapers compared to those guys. The river may not be what is once was, but the history and lore are unmatched in our sport. Coach:beer2:
  12. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Just to clarify, Gray's fish was on roe fished on a spey rod, his first fly caught steel was on the Rouge.