Favorite vise

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by woof, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I never had any issues with larger flies sizes up to 2 before adding the arm extension. Now I tie with it and it still ties great and there is a bit more space. I have two and when tying long articulated flies I position them together and that works great too. If I had fly tying talent then the planets would all be in alignment and wonderful things could happen. It is all I've used at home besides a early day forcep deal and three nights on a regal in a tying class. You will get great on what you use and know. Good luck.

2. buzzer

buzzer New Member

Good questions to ask are,what do you need to tie (sizes),what features do you want (rotary or fixed,pedistal or no) and what do you want to spend?The Fly fisherman comparison article is a very good resource.All my vices are well made U.S. tools.My other regular vices are Scottish and single malted ,Canadian and micro brewed or Australian, red and vinted.If I could give all these up I could probably get another vice. Say,....Scandinavian.

3. Loopy

Loopy Member

In the UK and parts of Europe this vice gets the big thumbs up.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/law/law_bv.htm

Without trappings the basic vice seen here retails at £450.00.

It is used by people like Oliver Edwards and the like and is the best I have come across to date.

Mr Waldron the craftsman does not have email but does answer the phone and responds in writing should you desire to take any enquiry further.

Cool piece of kit!

:cool:

4. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    The LAW Bench Vise is probably the best vise on the market. Mr. Waldron does indeed craft a fine tool. I opted for a slightly less expensive vise designed by the same MR. Waldron, manufactured and marketed by Snowbee. The Snowbee-Waldron vise is also finely crafted, though not hand made like the LAW, has great hook holding power, and is just a well made piece of kit.

[​IMG]

As it sits on the bench, the price was about $350.00 US.

5. Islander

Islander Steve

I can recommend the Peak vise. They are a great tool and a great value. Got mine at All About the Fly. Don't know if they still carry them or not. My .02

6. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I also have a Peak, and it is a very rugged vice. I did break the cam pin by over-tightening it once, but a quick phone call to Peak and another arrived cost free.

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Regal and Renzetti.

For anything smaller than a 16, it's tough to beat the ease of using a Regal.

If you use your vise for small bugs or for occasional epoxying (and like the fly to rotate evenly around an axis), then the Regal is not the best choice, and I then use my Renzetti Presentation.

8. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    regals are the way to go! and they now have a true rotary out now!