Favorite winter steelhead patterns.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Yes I'm bored. Been stuck at home with two sick kids.bawling:

I haven't fished an egg sucking leach pattern in a long time. Do you guys still fish them? Seems like the craze of intruders and such have put the old stand buys in the archaic closet.

Please attach pictures. The one I like the most will be selected to send me a dozen. I'll pay the postage. :thumb:
  2. SHARP Member

Washougal, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Green Butt
    Purple Peril
    Freight Train
    Intruders for spey
    Pick ur Pocket, various colors

Leeches. Have ton have not caught anything on them in awhile. the big ugly intruders are cool and fancy, however I still think small and sparse are the main, for me at least.
  3. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    Reverse marabou. Easy to tie, sinks quickly, big profile. But I ain't one to gossip so you didn't hear it from me.
  4. speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

Eastern Washington
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Skagit minnow tube
    or eggs
  5. almostacatch Let it Angle on the Dangle

malott, wa
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Variations of the Hoh-bo with more or less dressing depending on clarity and conditions. They're not as ornate as intruders but work well in skinnier water with a medium MOW tip and a switch rod. The materials are readily available and easy enough to whip out.
  6. Panhandle Active Member

Uhhm, I thought I indicated pictures as an imperative part of this thread.
  7. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    nice thread! I am just thinking to tie more flies too... photo would be appreciated!

Mark
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,327 / 9
    Holy crap, do we need to tie them on and cast them for you too?

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/g18693-2011-steelhead-flies-on-tubes-swap.html
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/g18683-2011-down-n-dirty-steelhead-fly-swap.html
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/g18665-2010-steelhead-swapreinterpret-the-classics.html
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/g18622-2010-pink-steelie-swap.html

Tough not to find a few that really call to you out of this group of possibilities. What do you fish currently? I hear you are a prime time fish slayer. A peek into your fly box would be nice if you'll share!
  9. Panhandle Active Member

What you hear is true. :ray1:

I almost exclusively use sparser-lower profile intruders in purple/blue, black -green variations. I too am not a big fan of large profile flies. I'll post some pics in the morning from inside the box of the Panhandle.:rofl:
  10. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +189 / 0
    I like sparser intruders too. But big and nasty have their place. For hatchery fish, though, its exclusively sparse, and usually pink
  11. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
  12. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +189 / 0
  13. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Favorite Winter Steelhead Pattern: Sol Duc Spey
  14. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,574 / 0
    When posting photos becomes as user friendly as an email attachment, I'll post some photos. Meanwhile, it just ain't worth my time. Sorry Pan. Come to the HohDown and you can peruse my flybox, but I don't have a full dozen of anything. Besides, I usually try to glean flies from other tiers. I don't think I'm lazy, my eyesight just isn't what it used to be and I have to wear these damn high power glasses to tie.

Sg
  15. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +402 / 0
  16. Panhandle Active Member

Salmo, I got a great offer to the North Umpqua I couldn't pass up. You have come over to the CW this coming year.
  17. johnnyd Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +7 / 2
    My favorites this winter have been different variations of the Akroyd especially the Steelhead Akroyd. I can't figure out how to post my pictures though.
  18. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    Kilowatt- It's got a jig hook, barbell weight, flash, cactus chenille, red head - all the major triggers. I fish it 90% of the time and catch about 90% of my steelhead on it.

Oh, and I caught a nice steelie on an unweighted egg sucking leech swung on a full sinking head this year.

Wayne

sorry for the bad pic, but at least you got your pic
  19. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,327 / 9
    Pan, most importantly, hope the two groms are on the mend quickly. Good on ya for putting in that quality time.
  20. bconrad Member

S Rivers
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Dude I just gotta give you props...he asks for pictures, you post more than 50! I've been too lazy to log in and look at these till now. Cue Dr Evil...Eeexxxxxccccceeeellllleeennnnt!