Favorite winter steelhead patterns.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +159 / 0

One of my favorites. No it isn't!
  2. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anything black and a little chartreuse has been good for me whether small or big,
    Swinging or nymphing ! There I said it have at it,
  3. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    it doesnt matter if you swing or nymph for steelhead that are fakes!
  4. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    What does that mean, Dustin? Not sure you have enough experience to tell the difference.
  5. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I will take our many available wild fakes out here available 11 months of the year, compared to what has happened to the WA fishery which I used to visit every few years, no more. Further chartreuse and black works well in either locations. Below are wild Michigan steelhead planted from west coast in 1880s, no stocking on this river for a long time, all natural reproduction. River open all year and with an excellent wild king salmon and brown trout fishery. Spring run is just starting we are good thru May.
    You ought to try it some time.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +161 / 0
    Oh snap. I would rather get a fake to move to an actual tied fly than drift a sphere of plastic into a "real steelhead's" mouth, but that's just my opinion..... Nice fish Hal! To the original question,... I like white and red in the winter, if that doesn't work black and red will.
  7. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    This what 100% of the winter fish I catch are caught on....
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,543 / 9
    James, that qualifies as a "confidence fly", doesn't it! Thanks for sharing that peek into the black and blue winter steelhead box.
  9. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I have to ask...I've seen a couple guys on here post "the only fly I fish" for winter steelhead...and I wonder how many rivers your fishing? I've found for whatever reason, some rivers like certain colors more then others....I love that black and blue leech pattern...but have had no luck with that color blue...So of course it doesn't get fished as much...

I've found that getting locked in one one pattern or color doesn't get me fish...running the gambit on flies for color, size etc. allows me to come up with patterns and colors that work in different systems depending on water clarity and height...Two things that seem to be way overlooked on here...

I fished a system this weekend....this is my third day on that flow....I've tried many different variations of black..(my favorite color with purple, blue, gold etc. variations) and only caught bulls...I've scored on pink and orange...Not a confidence issue at all...just trying different sizes and colors to see what the fish are interested in..

I know in Wallers book he talks about fishing a certain color or two when in "dirty" water..and it's not black so that's what's got me on trying new colors...

Water clarity and height determine a lot when it comes to size of fly and color as well...as does how much pressure a system is seeing....So many variables it makes they tying that much more fun..so I wouldn't get locked down on only a couple flies...use as many as you can and you might find that some flows really like certain colors and some, not so much..
  10. Panhandle Active Member

I agree, Golf. Every river does have a color and profile that works over the season of changing conditions. Having exclusive patterns for different rivers is imperative.
  11. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    This is my usual go-to. Preferably fished under an indicator:

[IMG]
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,720 / 0
    Damn, I was going to say if I could fish only one fly for steelhead, it would be a Spade in different sizes for varying water conditions. Hard to imagine there might be a river where the steelhead don't favor it. I'm not buying it Pan and Gman.

Sg
  13. ralfish Active Member

B.C.
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    Have to agree with Salmo...
  14. Panhandle Active Member

Ok, its all pschological. So if you think one pattern works on all water or several. Believing us what works best.
  15. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +155 / 0
    If you asked Dec Hogan what 3 flies he could have, if he could only choose three (this I learned by way of fly fishing radio) are;
    Spade (various colors) Marabou (various colors), and a muddler. I agree with Pan that different profiles and colors work better for different places. but if you haven't dialed that. I think these three patterns are the best way to go. (obviously not just talking about winter fish)
  16. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +604 / 0
    What is a Spade? Is that a featherwing?
  17. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +155 / 0
  18. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Way more varieties of Spades on that site than I've ever tied!

Sg
  19. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +604 / 0
    Dang, doesn't get much simpler than that.
  20. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Steelhead have a brain the size of a pea. How complicated should a steelhead fly be?

Sg