Feathers and fire

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +790 / 1
    The Mrs. and I spent the weekend at the property. Mowing, weed pulling, baking in the sun, and after that I got to run up to the woods and see if the grouse had returned this year. Last year was miserable for grouse, I couldn't buy one to save my soul. I harvested one and saw only three. It was like they vanished. Luckily they have returned, I spotted 5 in one short run up the hill. I'm looking forward to heading up again that first weekend in September to hunt.

Here's a pair of blues crossing the road:

[IMG]

Sunday night was so hot we felt we would get little sleep so around 8:30 we decided to make a night run home to Everett. As we crested the hill outside of Pateros my wife asks, "what's that up ahead?" It was an odd looking orange glow on the hillside a few miles out, I recognized it as a wildfire immediately. As we pulled closer to Azwell dam we could see the fire several hundred yards up the hill from the road. But as we got to the dam we found the road blocked off and we had to turn around. We ended up taking the North Cascade Highway home and got in around 3:30 Monday morning.

Heres a couple of shots at the dam turnoff, shaky hand held at about 4 seconds exposure...

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Port Gamble WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Nice to see some grouse! Haven't had any time to scout my usual spots but hope to soon. Just a couple more weeks til go time!
  3. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Thanks for the pictures Rick! I will be over at the lake house on the 1st of September-let me know if you want company grouse hunting! I noticed that there is a fire on Crane Road, which is the access to Central Ferry where we go into those quail last year. (that is across the river from the Antoine Creek fire that you saw) Hope is doesn't burn that wildlife area! Rick
  4. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +790 / 1
    Rick, being that close to the fire was eerie. It drives home how fragile the environment can be over there.

I'm avoiding the holiday but will be up there the 6th through the 10th....let's see what might work.
  5. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Hey Rick-those dates won't work for me as I have a 6 day float on the Middle Fork of the Salmon just then (I'll try to have a good time!) but lets really try to get together for some grouse or quail hunting this fall! (anyone else would be welcome as far as I'm concerned as well!) Lots of chances for a cast and blast at that time of the year! Rick
  6. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +508 / 2
    Cool shots roper.
  7. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Wow, Roper, those are great photos!! I haven't seen any grouse yet but have only just begun to get back into the forest early this week for my first short hike. Next week, I'll begin easing into more trail walking, so who knows; might come across some grouse here! There's lots of quail around our place though, so many that I'm thinking of hunting them with my bow!
  8. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Nice photos Roper! Other than the fires, sounds like a nice time!
  9. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    That's great news on the birds. I am hoping to hit some of my west side areas next week and do a little scouting. It's got to be better than last year!!:confused: