Feb Steel

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by tkhour, Feb 26, 2012.

1. tkhour Member

New Jersey
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Managed to get out and hit the water to swing for some steel. This one was caught on my Contour camera. Thought I would share the video. Enjoy.
  2. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    Congrats on your success! Might I suggest learning how to tail your fish in deeper water so they don't beat themselves up on the rocks next time :ray1: Unless of course you're fishing the middle fork...
  3. ChrisC Member

Ratings: +24 / 0
    Looks like a GL steelhead, which the overwhelming majority are hatchery.
  4. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    Good call Chris, didn't realize dude was from NJ. I just thought it was Idaho based on the Godsmack...
  5. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Oh well then obviously it doesn't count. You should cut his dick off for not saying he was from Jersey.
  6. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    How can any GL fish be native. They're all lake fish.
  7. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    Oh that fish counts! nice steelhead taken on the swing = happiness. It just looked like he was going to let it go (C&R) and wearing them out on the rocks doesn't bode well for their protective slime layer.
  8. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    Nice fish, what river were you on? He put a nice bend in the rod. I wish we had them here in Virginia although, there has been talk about possibly getting some SH hatcheries. We'll have to wait and see
  9. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Yeah, steelhead hatcheries, that's the ticket! Here in WA, we have a bunch of them that we might be persuaded to sell to Virginia, cheap...

I apologize. It's ten days since the steelhead season closed here, and the general tone on Spey Pages is already getting snarky.
  10. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    I fully understand. They should open hunting season after the close of steelhead just for that reason
  11. shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

45th Parallel NW Michigan
    Ratings: +23 / 1
    Right you are Pan, a potomodrous fishery. Not natives but somewhat grandfathered in after 136 years of natural reproduction. Some of our area tribs don't recieve any stocking. Ever. Yes, there are some strays but same genetics.. Our broodstock system uses only wild stream bred fish. No bastard pellet heads dumped in at random here.

ChrisC is correct with overwhelming majority assesment. The region is huge though and there are many areas that have wild self sustaining populations.
  12. tkhour Member

New Jersey
    Yes Im from NJ and it is a GL steelhead. He was released unharmed. Im all about C& R. That fish was back in the water a few seconds after the video ended.
  13. caneaddict New Member

Idaho
    Nice video and nice use of your camera. As for the replies about "learning to tail fish in deeper water" .....not all of us out west are that condescending.
  14. Brett28b New Member

New York City, NY
    +1:thumb:

I fish with tkhour all the time, he's is 100% c & r and always does what he can to release a fish unharmed.
  15. tkhour Member

New Jersey
    I appreciate the comments but it really doesn't bother me. It's only fishing at the end of the day.
  16. tkhour Member

New Jersey
    Thanks kid. We do what we can.
  17. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    tkhour,

I apologize for raining on your parade. I was just making a suggestion based on what I saw in your video and didn't mean to undermine your fine accomplishment, or your ability as an angler. The scholar smiley was my attempt at poking fun at the negative tone that sometimes arises when unmarked fish pics, or videos in this case, surface around here. I appreciate you sharing as we all love a little barely legal in the spey forum and hope you keep it rolling. Again congrats on your success!

Hugs & kisses

nutsack
  18. tkhour Member

New Jersey
    No offense taken nutsack. I appreciate the hugs & kisses. LOL. Good fishing.