February Trifecta

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by steeli, Feb 10, 2013.

1. steeli

steeli Member

Media:
    Great day yesterday. Launched the pram about 11 and lake was dead calm. Not a bite or sign of fish the first hour. Then out towards the middle lake about noon started seeing some rises, then more rises. For next couple hours it was sight fishing and casting the floating line to cruising trout taking large #14 brown midge emergers. First few fish were browns, then seemed to turn to all bows that were maybe schooling. Then in between a surprise nice cut. Fish seemed to move around very little and focused on the midges that were strangely in the middle over deepest part of the lake. Had to leave about 3:00 and hatch was also fading... All-in-all netted about fifteen to twenty fish; best an eighteen inch brown. Thinking back, can't remember having a Feb trifecta ever. Fun time and good sign spring fishing coming soon.

Irafly likes this.
  2. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

Nice job, I've been dreaming of the "true" trifecta for a while now. The closest I've gotten is two varieties of browns and a rainbow and a brown, a bow, and a perch/bass at different times. I have a feeling I know where you were, but it's not much a zipper lake.

3. steeli

steeli Member

Media:
    No don't think a real zipper lake but respecting a local someone who told me about it. By my report would guess with little research someone could figure it out.
    Fished it now a three times and this by far the best. Hunch is could go back again and again and likely not do as well, but then again? who knows...