Feedback

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Spencer Woods, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Spencer Woods Member

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Learning to spey cast and I feel like I have caught on fairly quickly. Have also had some instruction.

My question is (and my problem is sporadic)....... what habit do I get in to when I make my forward cast and I hear the sound of like a whip! Like a snap! What the hell am I doing to make that happen? Doesnt happen all the time.
  2. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Slow down your forward cast and watch your d-loop form.
  3. Spencer Woods Member

Edgewood, WA
    Thanks Shawn! I'm reading exactly that. I'll slow her down. I always feel like to get distance I need to speed things up :) and yes............. when I'm
    practicing on a river for 1-2 hours....... you tend to play the game "how far can I cast this" :)
  4. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    You are pulling your anchor. Go slow during your sweep and accelerate a bit the last quarter of the sweep as you go to ready position. If you are casting a shorter rod or line, it would also help to keep your stroke more compact by keeping your arms close to your body.
  5. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,535 / 0
    Three things I was taught to do when my cast started going astray. 1) Slow down. 2) Slow down and 3) SLOW DOWN!
  6. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +114 / 0
    iagree

Great advice. Slowing down almost always works. Be careful not to overpower as well. Good distance is more a function of timing than power.
  7. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast!
  8. Spencer Woods Member

Edgewood, WA
    So next time I hit the river to practice or fish........... I think the key is to slow down :) Thanks! I'll keep you posted! I think I just get in a hurry and think thefaster and harder I move, the longer and tighter my cast would be.
  9. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +288 / 1
    iagreeThe snap can also be too much power which is related to too much speed. I learned that you have to let the rod do the work, especially in Spey Casting.
  10. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Spencer: You're merely experiencing the timing problem that's normal in learning this new form of fly casting. Watch most beginners at single-hand fly casting, and they'll be frantically whipping their lines back and forth, because they're a little afraid of the flying line, don't know how to control it, and haven't learned that their rod tip can easily be moved faster than the line needs to go. Same thing with spey casting, and usually, the same solution: slow down.

We don't have to learn casting by feel, fortunately. We have eyes, and should use them - during the learning phase. Teaching the newbie to look over his shoulder at the backcast (D loop, in our case) is just good fundamental learning mode. You only have to do it occasionally during the learning phase to see how your line is behaving in the air behind you. With a spey rod in both hands, it's a little harder to rotate enough to see behind you, but you can do it, enough to watch the D loop with peripheral vision. When you hear popping sounds behind you, it's because you're yanking the line into an instant change of direction, rather than giving the backcast time to form properly. That sudden yank can literally break the sound barrier, and the force of that will often break your tippet, causing flies to disappear behind you, or at least for your leader to be dangerously overstressed. It takes a bit of time for your long rod to flex backward and for your D loop to form. Slow down.
  11. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,535 / 0
    Another thing newcomers do is forget to use both hands. It is after all a 2 handed rod. Becareful of how much top hand you use.
  12. Spencer Woods Member

Edgewood, WA
    Excellent! Thanks for the response! I'll get her dialed in here soon. Nooksack............ thanks for your extended time.
  13. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    yeah Spencer... remember, it's supposed to be EASY. Get in touch with your inner La-Z-Boy.
    most problems can be solved with taking your foot off the gas and focusing on your form. Let that big stick do the work for you, that's why you spent all that money!
    Try casting with a two-finger grip on both hands, you'll see what I mean