Felt Sole Bans

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bill Aubrey, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Kind of like folks who drive electric cars I guess.

2. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

More like people who recycle or practice catch and release. It is a mindset, that we can have an impact, either positive or negative. It is a choice. BR

3. Kaiserman

I agree, and that's what the states should do... leave it as a choice.

4. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

When they do that, Lake Erie starts on fire. It is a fact that people abuse public domain because they don't own it. They will do things to the resource that they would never do to their own property. Companies with their pollution is just as bad. We do not take care of public space, look around and do a bit of research. Plenty of information out there on how the mind works with public space. I prefer lakes that are not filled with litter and pollution. BR

5. Kaiserman

Sorry, I should have specified "choice" about the felt soles.

I agree with recycling. If we can, we should. As long as they try and make it easier on folks. Boiling lables off, or removing the glue from lables, before putting it into the recycle bin, just doesn't fly with most folks.

6. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    What this country really needs is, a good 5cent transmogrifier! I'm probably gonna bite the bullet this season and pick up a pair of non-felts. Gotta say, though, two years ago coming back from the St Joe on I-90, I pulled in to the watercraft check station towing my drift boat, and the "gubmint" employee asks where's the engine. I tell him "it's a drift boat" and he says "yeah, I know it's a boat, but where's the motor?". I said "you're talking to it". NOT the sharpest tool in the shed!

7. Tom O'Riley

Tom O'Riley Member

Felt bans will save the rivers
    Man has control over the Planets temprature
    Netting has no impact on fish stocks
    Hatcheries will solve all the problems
    WDFW does a great job

Anybody want to buy a bridge?

8. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

I find it interesting that this topic keeps coming up. The first time it was brought up on this board I thought I had better do some research as I needed new wading boots. It was also about the time that Simms discontinued making felt boots. I read a lot of information on this topic and had some pretty in depth discussions with a buddy that bought Korkers because of the ban. End result was after filtering through way too many research articles on wether or not felt caused the problem and watching my buddy fall on his ass alot wearing korkers, I waited until Simms started selling the felt soled boots again this year, bought a pair and love them. I trust felt soles much more than I do anything else and my life is way to important to subsitute something that just doesn't work for me. It's all about choices.

9. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I wore them because they worked better, not to save the earth

10. Chuckanduck

Chuckanduck Member

"You see it is not all or nothing, but was is more disturbing is that you are excited by the fact you found infection." BR

Yep. Excited that Argentina in the southern hemisphere is now infected with invasive Didymo from the northern hemisphere where it is native, by fishermen who didn't know or didn't care. Of course what we are really concerned about is that it may affect the invasive rainbows and browns that were introduced on purpose! Same as in New Zealand, right? Any concern for the native Galaxids in New Zealand? Ever even heard of them? Well, they are trout-like species that have been decimated by the introduced rainbows and browns. New Zealand now has a recovery program for them. Might have been pretty cool to fish for them, especially the Giant Kokopu, but now we will never know. Too many folks don't bother to think and do the research before they take action. Sadly, this includes Fish and Game agencies as well.
    Check out this link to see what we may have missed in New Zealand before humans tried to turn it into a trout fisherman's dream.
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/documents/science-and-technical/TSRP55entire.pdf
    I am not saying these intentional changes are bad, because the jury is still out. What I am saying is that we have too often made decisions and acted before thinking things through. In my opinion, banning felt soles is one of those decisions.

11. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

Sure banning felt soles will have a very adverse effect on the environment...

12. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Well, it may not have a VERY ADVERSE EFFECT ON THE ENVIRONMENT, but it may not solve the problem either. Rather than ban felts, jock straps or any thing else, I would rather find a solution to the problem and work from there. If felts are indeed the villan, find a procedure to disinfect them, or if all else fails, then they should be banned. But we need to know if other causes are at work here.

13. Chuckanduck

Chuckanduck Member

No, just an adverse effect on a lot of peoples pocketbook and possibly their physical well being and absolutely no effect on the environment. The crevices and laces on wading boots and neoprene waders will take care of spreading the invasives. The ban is ill conceived at best and economically and politically motivated at worst.

14. Kaiserman

That's great.... but you live in freaking ALASKA! :D

When I fished up there, I could have walked in my bare feet and not slipped. Down here, we have this crap called algae, (that I swear is a byproduct of crap) that you almost need to where spikes. You should try fishing the Spokane river. Holy crap Batman, what is that stuff in there?!

All that aside, I'm sure some do wear them because they like them better. My point was, I wonder how many (if truly honest) switched because of their convictions, not because they liked them better.

15. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

I have always been a big fan of felt soles for wading but could never stand them for rock hopping, walking the river bank etc. so when I had to replace my old Simms two years ago I picked up a pair of Korkers to give me the option of using felt or rubber as I saw fit. Funny enough, in two seasons I have not found the need to use anything more than studded rubber. However I do carry a new set of studded felt soles with me in the event that I feel I need them.....once used I plan to label them for use in that water system only.

16. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

I think the issue is you use rational instead of reason. BR

17. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I agree with Chuckandduck. Not enough information to make a decision to do something that may or may not have an impact on the issue. I am certain that there are more factors at work that an old guy like me walking in the river with my felt soled waders on. I suspect I could walk into the river bare a$$ed naked and the issue would not change. I also suspect that some hard decisions need to be made and some folks are going to be upset by the results. But the naked truth is seldom pleasant.
    The view from my bar stool is that we have an epidemic of disease in our rivers. Four states have banned felt waders. We still have an epidemic disease in our rivers and it is spreading. We also have invasive species that have been introduced either by human intervention or natural migration and reproduction. I think it will take some intelligent study, common effort and even perhaps international cooperation to solve the issue.

I suspect that too may become an major issue.

18. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Didymo?

19. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

WA State will likely implement a ban & I don't disagree with that . . . unless we will need another pass to purchase and hang in our window/on our waders.

20. Chuckanduck

Chuckanduck Member

I think the issue is you use rational instead of reason. BR
    BRsnow, Today at 6:18 AMReport

Boy, you sure have me confused now! The word "rational" is defined as "consistent with and based on reason":confused: