Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fenwick FF856-5, It is rated for a 6# weight line

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Yak 
#1 ·
Has anyone here tried it with a 5# Nymph Taper? Also, I am moving away from Bamboo, and prefer Fiberglass and the old school graphite like the Fenwick HMG. I have a Winston IM6 which I do not like. It is to wimpy imho. I realize this is a Bamboo/Fiberglass board, but I was wondering what are some of the old school medium action graphite rods people prefer. I am looking to get rid of the 1M6 and would like an older 3 to 4 piece graphite rod, but do not know much about them since I got into bamboo early into my flyfishing hobby.

To be honest, I cannot stand most of the new graphite rods, and I have tried quite a few. I think the are too fast and they do not have the beef to battle big fish. I know people will differ, but this is what I think. By the way, I still use my W.M. Stream and Lake , but most of the time now, I fish glass or graphite. I appreciate the responses. Thanks, Mark.

#3 ·
Oh yes! The Sage RP was superb, and still the best rod they ever made. The DS/DS-2 was the same rod as the RP, just re-badged with cheaper hardware. Excellent rods.

The old Scott G-series was quite nice, as was the first SAS with the all-metal reel seat. In fact, by graphite standards the SAS was downright deliberate. But soooo smooth and a real pleasure to fish. If you like the longer Grangers, you'll feel right at home.

Just out of curiosity, what IM-6 Winston do you have, and what don't you like about it?

#4 ·
I have a 8' 6",5#,3 piece rod, which was built on a Winston blank. I guess my main problem is it seems a bit wimpy to me. I hooked a large trout on it, and when it came time to be able to muscle the fish, it did not seem to have the backbone. It also seems a bit whippy to me. Bamboo and my Hexagraph seem to have much more strength as does the HMG.

#5 ·
Agree, I tend to prefer more med action up to 5 wt. When it comes to bigger rods/fish I tend to go to a bit faster action. Here are my favorites:

Sage LL for 2-3wt (although I do have a 00 TXL that is nice)
Sage RPL 4-6wt
Sage XP/ZAxis/RPLXi for 6-10wt

I also have a couple Redington CT rods and for the money are a great med action choice for 2-5 wt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.