Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ferguson's Favorite Saltwater Flies

4K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  Preston 
#1 ·
I thought I might share these with you mad saltwater fly fisherman. Quite a while ago, I won a raffle at our fly club and got these framed flies that Bruce Ferguson tied. It is dated November 2, 1994. Enjoy: Whoops, sorry for the duplicates.
Insect Arthropod Wing Pest mayflies
Insect Arthropod Leg Twig Feather
Bait Arthropod Artificial fly Insect Fishing bait
Insect Arthropod Wing Pest mayflies
Insect Arthropod Leg Twig Feather

Ferguson's Sandlance Fly
Ferguson's Herring Fly
Allard Yellow
Allard Orange
Ferguson's Green & Silver

See less See more
#5 ·
I thought I might share these with you mad saltwater fly fisherman. Quite a while ago, I won a raffle at our fly club and got these framed flies that Bruce Ferguson tied. It is dated November 2, 1994. Enjoy: Whoops, sorry for the duplicates. View attachment 28276 View attachment 28277 View attachment 28278 View attachment 28276 View attachment 28277

Ferguson's Sandlance Fly
Ferguson's Herring Fly
Allard Yellow
Allard Orange
Ferguson's Green & Silver
Thanks for sharing. The May/June Northwest Fly Fishing magazine featured a very nice article on Bruce Ferguson.
Jack

#8 ·
Ferguson's Green & Silver was one of the first flies I learned to tie when I started SRC fishing in Puget Sound. It stayed dry in the box for some time as I thought other more “baitfish looking” patterns certainly had to be better than something that looked like I don’t know what. At the end of a day without a bump I put it on to see what it looked like in the water. Very first cast was a cutthroat of around 10 inches and my only fish that day. It comes out of the box a lot now.

#18 ·
The Allard Beach flies in either yellow or orange are still my favorite saltwater steelhead flies.

Leland.
Several years ago now, I used the Allard Fly with "hot pink" and sort of gave it my own name of the "Kilowatt Red" for sea run cutthroat. Cheating there! Ha! There were times when I had fish on almost every cast! It was killer in the fall. I only use it occasionally now, but have to get some more in my box! I use to slam it on the water, then begin a very "short" fast twitch. Fish would nail it just under the surface film within the first 5 feet or less of twitching it! Serious.

#17 ·
Hey, Larry, thanks for posting this. Bruce was a friend of mine, as he was to most of the people he met. His Green and Silver was modified
from time to time, as were other creations of his. It was always a go to fly for me. Still is.

Go fish!

Sterling
Ah, you were lucky to get to know him Paul. I had lunch with him long long ago with some other guys and wish I could have known him more. By the way, we need to get out together with you, Mark, and I.

#24 ·
A few years ago I bought some of Bruce's flies from Jeff Delia who acquired them from the Ferguson estate.
Thanks for sharing those. The picture in the middle with 4 flies - I really like the one on the left and the one on the bottom! Killer looking flies!

#27 ·
I just ran across this photo from a few years ago. I had Gil Nyerges build a fly plate using some of the Ferguson flies I got from Jeff Delia and gave it to Les Johnson. Les and Bruce were very good friends for many years. In addition to being an innovative tier (Nyerges Nymph, Gil's Monster) Gil is a superb craftsman and builds some of the finest fly plates I've ever seen. My photo doesn't really do it justice.

Brown Picture frame Art Rectangle Smile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.