Ferrule wraps

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by thewaker, Mar 29, 2007.

1. thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Bend, Oregon
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    When wraping thread on the female end of a ferrule, what is the standard length to wrap for spey rods? Does it differ from heavy rods to lighter or is there a set standard? Is an inch or so enough? 2inches? More? Thanks for any advice on this I'm just about done with my Forecast 11'6 and just want to be sure I got it right.

Mark
  2. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    You'll probably get differing opinions on this but I've heard some say they wrapa length equal to twice the diameter of the female ferrule. Others wrap to the full insertion depth of the male ferrule. Beings it's a spey rod, and spey rods seem to generate a lot more torque, and I've heard of spey rods snapping at the ferrule during casting, I would tend to err on the side of a lot longer wraps. I built the same rod and made the wraps about 2 - 4 inches each. When I wrapped a 14' 9 wt Sage this winter I wrapped to the depth of the ferrule. One reason to shorten the ferrule wraps is to save weight, and in a spey, the saved weight would be less significant than it would be in a short, light weight single-hander.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Wayne
  3. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    I found a pic of my Forecast, though not the ferrule wrap. Thought you might like to see the results.

Attached Files:

4. Dr Bob Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I have only built standard fly rods not a spey rod. I use the 2 times the diameter of the ferrule rule. However, I did hear that some Dan Craft rods (the 5 river series) required some additional reinforcement. So in addition to wrapping the base of the female ferrule, I wrapped an area 2 times the ferrule diameter on the female rod end approximately at the point of the male insert location. This added less weight than wrapping the entire length of the insertion area.

Dr Bob:beer2:
  5. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,726 / 0
    Waker,

I don't know what the standard is, but I looked at my factory finished rods, and they usually have about a half inch ferrule wrap. So that's what I always put on my home rolled jobs. I've never had a problem.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  6. thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Bend, Oregon
    Thanks all. I saw something by Meiser that said wrap the entire female end to the length of the male ferrule at full insertion. Sounds kinda kinky. Salmo, it sounds like you have built a quite few rods and had no problem, that's a pretty good testimony. I just don't want to blow one up. I looked at several of my bigger custom and factory spey rods and they have 3+inches on the female end. I just don't know.

Mark
  7. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Depends on the manufacturer... Call them up and get the skinny from them. All of the other stuff is conjecture and opinion, of which you'll get wildly different answers.... Sage and Loomis tend to be rather cautious with their factory rods and follow the length of the male entering the ferrule. Other manufacturers are a lot less conservative. CND, Scott and others seem to follow the 2x the female diameter.With that said to be *totally* cautious, wrap all the way up the depth of the male ferrule plus a few more wraps...
  8. thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Bend, Oregon
    Thanks James, more good info.

Mark
  9. SSPey Member

Oregon
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    the $600-900 Loomis speys are 2x ferrule...

my (now sold) Forecast 11'6" snapped on first use, right above a ferrule. I've exploded a Sage 8150 right above a ferrule when moving a long length of line, and seen a TFO and Burkie bust there, too. From these experiences, I can only guess that there's a potential hinge point at the very end of the male ferrule. I don't expect the ferrule itself is a very weak point on most blanks, unless the ferrule is loose and rod sections are banging against each other.