fiberglass converter 9-10' switch

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yuhina, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Hi all, Some reports here...Just thought it would be fun to show some projects I have been doing lately... In past few years I have significantly spent more time in smaller waters for trout, thus been playing around several trout spey projects... more recently, I was inspired by Ed Ward's "microspey" trout spey idea (3-5 weight trout rod, 9-10 feet rod length) which is converting lighter trout rods 3-5 weight single hander into double handed casting style. I have a lot of fiberglass rods (noted 5-8 weight fiberglass rod usually equivalent 3-5 weight graphite rod power.) that was pretty suitable for those projects, the only challenging is to find suitable lines to fit those small microspey. A little bit cut and spliced homeworks have proven more than feasible and productive. I really in love with those microspey! Fun to fish bigger flies than it "should be". Because of the "fatter" skagit heads thus better "payload" to carry out larger flies. I have been tossing some serious big lead eyes on some 4-5 weight trout rods. Below are some photos and videos from this summer. The average skagit heads varies depends on the rod power, but for 9-10 feet rods, I found 15 feet skagit head (1.6x rod length) and 7-9 feet sinktip (50-60 % weight of belly (grain per foot)) is THE sweet spot.
    IMO, skagit casting really fit those old glass rods well. Heavier rod weight no longer is an issue, and you got all "chewy" soft and responsive feel from the fiberglass rods. Plus the deep flex action really helped to sling some serious heavy flies and sinktips. Overall, I have to admit, it is really addictive to fish those soft rods, particularly, in Ed Ward's sustain anchor casting style. You might want to give your old glass rod a try.
    Mark
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

skagit short 20' @ 375 grain, T11 8'
    [​IMG]
    r4 by markyuhina, on Flickr

Gallantin river, MT. Skagit 430 grain @ 15' - T14 5'
    [​IMG]
    d5 by markyuhina, on Flickr
    c2 by markyuhina, on Flickr

Josh likes this.
  2. This Puppy Hunts!

Well done Sir, well done.
    fae

3. As always, great videos Mark.

Where did you get that butt for your FF858 or did you make it yourself?

4. Randall, check out Angler's Workshop in Woodland, Washington. Been in business at least four decades that I know of. DIY rods/etc., you just have to go through their catalog and you'll do a 'Woooozer!'

Don't quickly see what you want, give them a call. Whom-ever you talk to will know what you're talking about.

fae

5. Stoked by this post. Thanks!

6. Thanks for the kind words, my friends... sorry for the late reply... on the vacation...

Hey Randall, I think this lower handle is factory made, but not sure where... I got this set up from the ebay. (I have asked the seller about the origin of this lower handle) The seller also wasn't sure where his uncle got this lowerhandle. There are $3.00 stamp on the cork, so apparently this is from few decades ago... if someone knows how to get those lower handles... I will love to know too. Mark

7. Thanks Fred & Mark.

The factory ones I can find are slightly shorter than what I'm looking for (2", I want 3-4"). There's also a 5" one out there that's just ghastly looking. I'm not set up to do my own or that's the route I'd probably go. At any rate, sorry for the slight hi-jack.

Cheers,
    Randy

8. Hey Randy,

I totally understand what you are thinking. I like the idea of detachable handle for those short rod, because in some days you just don't want that longer handle hanging there and tangle with the line. I have experimenting with the Fenwick salmon rod lower handle before (10 weight 9'3) and with some masking tape wrapping and fitting. it is pretty sturdy and workable and still remain detachable. You might want to look out for those that come up on ebay eventually. All my short rod conversions are detachable handle BTW. Also(you might already know) Andyoldyankee @ FFR will do the detachable lower handle work for the customers. I am not sure how much he charge though. Mark