Fiberglass creek rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by kjsteelhead, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    If you can find an old Phillipson glass rod, I'd highly recommend it. I have a 6 footer that was my Dad's small stream rod. I haven't used it in many years, but keep it for the memories. It's a fabulous rod for close-in work.
  2. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    In addition to the old Phillipson there are the old Hardy Sceptre rods. The blanks were often built and branded under a variety of names other than Hardy. I have a Sceptre blank. Someday I'll make a rod out of it.

TC
  3. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    There are very many glass rods out there, ranging from 50+ years old to brand spankin' new. Check out this list, which is probably the most authoritative and complete in the world (though needs to be updated to include some very recent new rod lines): http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/2692
  4. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    the scott f2 is out now and casts like a dream! its got a whole new look compared to the fibertouch, they redid the finish to give it that classic glass look
  5. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Yep, I have the Scott F2 7'7" 4wt and it is great. It's actually a very unique rod due to some magic in the glass layup of the blank. It's far softer in flex than last year's F, but has quicker rebound when you push it. I wrote a short review here: http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/forum/getrefs/id/102338/type/0 (look at the next page too...there's a follow-up).
  6. Col.Buckshot New Member

Fort Worth TX
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Not sure what's considered reasonably priced but the discontinued Scott fibertouch series rods are heavily discounted right now. They're fast for glass but definitely have the characteristics you want from glass-excellent roll casters,great tippet protection with a sensitive feel. I've owned both the 703 and the 764 and recommend them highly. From what I've read, the concensus opinion is that the new yellow F2's are an improvement over the black F series. If so, the F2's must be great rods.
  7. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    JP Ross fly rods make a 6ft 2pc that is a 2 to 5wt. I like a dt 3 wt line. It is an awesome rod and a looker. I have one more of his rod but it is graphite. His work is in with the best. I also had him build me up another rod with a blank and reel seat I had. Check his site out.
  8. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
  9. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +226 / 1
    Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but I just bought my first glass rod and thought I'd share some pics.

It was made by Matt Leiderman and of excellent build, I think.
    Steffen 8' 5wt. 3pc. features: 6" modified full wells grip, blued NS hardware w/ cherry spacer, Dickerson style hook keeper, shop made agate SG, brass labeled tube and bag.

I'm looking forward to fishing it in Montana in '11.:thumb:

ATTACH=CONFIG]36595[/ATTACH] View attachment 36596 View attachment 36597 .
  10. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Sweet Mark!
  11. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Thanks Lonnie.
    Now when I get that bamboo 3wt from you, I'll never need another rod.:rolleyes:
  12. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    :rofl::rofl: Ya right!!!! :rofl::rofl:
  13. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
  14. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Mark, that is soooo Sweet! Fred does awesome work and that lemon drop blank is awesome!
    Thanks for posting up a photo.
  15. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    THAT is a helluva creek rod. You have excellent taste.
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,504 / 9
    Mark, whatchagonnadowiththat? You don't fish do you? She is a beauty for sure.
  17. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Beautiful Rod, I just traded away another one of my creek rods today...
  18. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    No, no fishing, so I figured I just make a nice display featuring the rod poised with a pair of Dormisch-Absi reels and Marryat Baby.:rofl:

Thanks all for the comments. It sure is a "looker".
    Waiting for a Kineya reel to mate it with.
    It'll be one of the rods headin' to Idaho in Sept.
  19. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,504 / 9
    Headline: Hobbled Fisherman Left in Wilderness, No Sign of Flyfishing Gear

Just sayin'
  20. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Good one!:thumb: