Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fiberglass creek rod

Fiberglass 
12K views 67 replies 33 participants last post by  AquaRedReflections 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a short fiberglass rod for fishing small, brushy creeks. I started out with Cortland and Fenwick fiberglass rods back in the day before going graphite. Anyone know of a company that is still making decent fiberglass fly rods that are reasonably priced?

#62 ·
I picked up a Cabela's 50th Anniversary glass rod (7', 4/5wt) on the recommendation of someone on this forum. I've only used it a few times, but the detail on the rod itself is really nicely done and I thought it fished great. My first small-stream fish on it was an 18" cutt in tight quarters with branches, roots, and undercut banks, and the rod had enough backbone to keep it in play until I could net and release it. It is the first fiberglass rod I've cast in many years, however, so I can't really compare it. At $99, however, the price is right.

Dick

#63 ·
I've got a little Abercrombie & Fitch Banty 44 (out of Phillipson) with a Hardy Flyweight reel that was built back in 1962-4. I can't recall the year off the top of my head. Its a neat little rod and reel. Casts nicely. I can easily shoot line 60 feet and beyond once I get used to casting it. The casting stroke is a bit different from what I am used to. Up close and in tight spaces, the rod is deadly. It is really made for fishing in close in tight spaces. When I first saw the set, I thought it was a small scale rod for a child. Later, I learned what a fine fishing tool it really is. The folks at Phillipson knew how to make a nice rod for sure. I've only fished this rod one time because I tend to take my newer rods out on the water and usually forget to take the Banty along. The whole kit fits into such a small space, I could easily pack it in my backpack on a weekend trip. My 5 year old son enjoyed fishing with the rod on one occassion as well. Of course, he said he liked it because it was little. When I bought him a new graphite rod he said he, "Liked it too because it was blue." He has an interesting way of reviewing the finer points of a fly rod.

A 5 year old with a 50 year old fly rod.

#66 ·
that's funny. my youngest son never looses a pocketknife, can un-snag an errant fly, and keeps his 5pc berkley parametric spin/fly combo in the tube i made for it at all times. his older brother (twice his size) breaks and looses everything, and is sincerely sorry for the mishaps. has a very short attention span. sure is crazy how different kids can be. i love 'em both, but i sure enjoy seeing the one taking care of his things,

#67 ·
I recently purchased a HARDY glass rod, Model "the brook". It is 6 feet long for a 3 weight line. It is soooooo sweet!!
Beautifully made and packaged. Absolutely a hoot to use on a small creek. Casts effortlessly with just a couple of inches of line off the tip. I use DT line.
Price was $300+. CHeaper than a Scott glass ($500+) and better I think after trying both. For whatever its worth. Jackd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.