Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fiberglass rod comparison (Dback, Scott, McFarland)

Fiberglass 
3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  spanishfly 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a short glass rod for small streams and small trout in the Cascades. I have a bamboo rod, but want this as a backup. I'm looking for a 6'6"-7'0" 3 or 4 weight.

Since no one stocks these rods in my area, does anyone have any insights into the offerings from Diamondback, Scott, or McFarland (a small PA maker)?

Thanks

#2 ·
One other rod to take a look at (serious) is the 'rod combo's' sold by Cabela's. I wanted a 3 wt, but didn't want to 'invest bucks' on a rod that would only see the light of day a few times per year.

Purchased their 3wt combo (rod, line, reel, backing, leader, two rod tubes, etc.) and it's one of the best 3wts I've ever cast ..... and $157.00 at my front door.:thumb:

#3 ·
Thanks, a good suggestion...but I want a softer fiberglass rod for short casts in small pocket water. I have all the graphite I'd need for five lifetimes.

I was just hoping some of you had experience casting these rods and could comment on relative actions. All are soft, I'm sure, but I'm looking for comments about casting ranges, accuracy of manufacturer's line weight rating, subjective "feel", finish, durability, etc.

In particular, the Scott and Dback are made from a new glass composite called "S2". The McFarland is made from an older glass that looks similar to what the old Winston Retro series used. I'm very curious about that difference.

Thanks again.

#5 ·
I'm afraid I can't offer any insights into your query Lugan, but being a fan of soft action rods myself, I appreciate your post and would be interested in periodic updates on your search and what you end up with.

K

#6 ·
I think I got all my questions answered on the "Fiberglass Flyrodders" board: http://p097.ezboard.com/bfiberglassflyrodders. There's a wealth of information posted.

Yes, there is a very active forum dedicated to the niche sport of fiberglass flyrodding. The Internet allows all kinds of kooky obsessions to find their center of gravity. I love it.

I'm now leaning toward a Steffen Brothers glass rod, but probably will do some more research.

#9 ·
I have built both a 6 piece 6 1/2 ft Lamiglass 3 wt (blank now discontinued) and a 7' Diamondback 3pc 3 wt. Both flex 2/3 of the way down and load easily. I fish the diamondback regularly. The only graphite rod that I have that compares is my 3.0 flex 7' 4 wt orvis superfine......and I think the glass, esp the diamondback may load at very short distances better. I haven't casted bamboo, so I can't make that comparison. Glass or superfines would be my recommendation.

By cabelas do you mean the clear creek combos?

#10 ·
Lugan,

Thanks for bringing up this topic. As I'm sitting here this morning looking out at 5 inches of snow piling up, I'm at the same time thinking of it melting and filling some of the beaver ponds that I love to fish. What better rod to use in these areas where small flies and quiet water are the norm. The action of a good fiberglass rod brings me back to earlier days and fiberglass rods of my younger years. I'm looking at getting a 2 weight for these waters, and what could fit the bill better than a 'glass rod. The 'glass rod site you referenced is a good source.

Sterling

#11 ·
Sterling--you've got 5 inches of snow over there? I'm glad I didn't go out and chase cutties, after all. :)

Lugan,

It seems I'm late to this thread, but I'll post my surface opinions/observations of the Dback and Scott rods.

I actually liked the Dback. It acted just as you'd expect a glass rod to, slow and loading pretty well up close and it pretty good looking, too. I cast the 7 foot 4 weight, BTW. The only negative thing I can say about it was that it got a bit sloppy with tracking at times (overhead and sidearm casting), but that could've just been me.

OTOH, the Scott F 6'6" 2 weight I cast a few months ago didn't seem to have any bit of slop, no matter how hard I wanted to push it or what angle I was throwing from. Plus, for a glass rod, it recovered pretty quickly and loaded extremely well up close. Then again, you're paying almost $300 more for an F than you are for a Diamondback...

I'm also in the market for a glass rod and will probably end up with the F, but given that the trout don't care, I don't think you could go wrong with the Dback and you'll end up saving some money for a reel for your new rod.

BTW, I cast the above rods at The Morning Hatch (Dback) and at the Scott Demo Day at the Puget Sound Fly Co. You could call Clark or Anil and ask them to ask the Scott rep to drop by the 2 weight for you to test out...just an idea to help you out in your decision making process.

Good luck with your decision!

#13 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll try to cast some of the current new rods over the winter either via shops/reps or at the FF show in February in Bellevue. Of course, casting is always the best research you can do to inform rod choice.

Kent - Thanks in particular for that excellent website/store. I had no idea they existed. Yes, I'm trolling for a used rod too.

Sterling - I hope your beaver ponds survived the flooding!

#14 ·
I just got back from a trip to NM and a buddy there mentioned he’d built a graphite rod by “Steffan Brothers” and said it was on of the best rods he has ever casted. Names such as T&T and Sage XP were some of the comparisons. He had nothing but praise for the rod and he's been fishing over 20 years. Curious, I looked them up online as I never heard of them and now thinking of purchasing a 2/3 wt fiberglass blank.

Good luck and keep us posted with your final purchase.

Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.