Fiberglass rod gathering . . .

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Kent Lufkin, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,228 / 0
    I felt like a carpetbagger yesterday at Gary Knowels' outstanding fiberglass rod event at a north Seattle park near his home. As primarily a bamboo rod guy, I was frankly stunned by the broad range of fiberglass actions and styles that easily rivaled any group of cane rods I've seen.

A dozen or so WFFers rigged up nearly 40 fiberglass rods ranging from vintage Fenwicks from the 1960s to jewels by current makers. Besides being able to cast any of the rods at leisure, Gary also whipped up an outstanding dinner of homemade lasagne, salad and apple turnovers, reinforced by appetizers, bread, cheeses and desserts. Many, many thanks to Gary and all who participated. It was truly an outstanding day.

K

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Great stuff. I wish I could have made it.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. tonemike fish'n glass

Monroe, WA.
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    I was very surprised to find a full flexing rod that I enjoyed casting so much. Lugan's little Wojnici flexed into the handle, but wasn't even slightly wimpy. That guy (wojnici) sure can make 'em! And of course castin the mcFarland S glass wt was a treat... That'll only make my own wait (for my McFarland) longer. :/
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +157 / 0
    Hey Kent, great pix. It was sure a fun day. Saw a bunch of really nice fiberglass rods and had a chance to admire some really beautiful, graceful casting.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Bonsai Jerry

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Kent I like you tag line "As a confirmed gear whore, I firmly believe that one can never have too many rods, reels, lines, flies, boats and . . . what else was I gonna say?" I heard some of the guys talking about selling some of their rods and reels before they acquire new ones. I might give a rod or reel to a young kid to encourage them to try fly fishing, but I am always on the look out for the next deal I simply can't pass up. Some nice photos.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +419 / 0
    Great photos. I'm still smiling thinking about the feeling I had while casting those rods. Not all agreed with my stroke or personality, but there were a few that felt like I should have been born with it in my hand. So much fun and I think we should do it again sometime! Maybe a cane get together or a 2-3 weight gathering? Thanks for making it a fantastic time everyone!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G
    Nooksack Mac and Kent Lufkin like this.
  7. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,228 / 0
    Huh? F**k 'em if they can't take a joke! I had a wonderful time in spite of what my cast looks like!

In the end, like a kid in the candy store, while it was a treat to cast so many different rods, casting on a lawn is one thing, but using any of those wonderful rods to fish with must be on an entirely higher plane.

Maybe next time we do it on the water?

K
  8. Bonsai Jerry

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    No question, I would like to do it again. On the water would add a nice aspect to the experience. Light weight rods would also be something to consider. Garry, the only comments I heard about your casting was "I can't believe he has only been fly fishing for a few years." I was the one that couldn't cast more than 30 feet.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  9. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +419 / 0
    Sorry guys, I was referring to the rods themself, NOT the company! That was one of the best groups of guys I've ever been around.
    Jeff Dodd, Kent Lufkin and Ron McNeal like this.