fiberglass rods

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Wayne Kohan, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I'm debating building a small fiberglass rod, probably three wt, this winter to use as my small stream rod. I currently have an Orvis 2 wt, 8 1/2 foot that I use but would like something shorter that loads with less line out. (I'm already using a 3 wt line on it.)

Are there any differences in the building of the rod if it's fiberglass that I need to be aware of?

What is your opinion of fiberglass rods, if you have owned or cast one???

Wayne

2. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I have a old fenwick 7 foot ferralite which is one helluva nice rod to cast all day with. It's rated for a 6wt, but I'm using a 5wt dt on it. Great little rod if you can find one on eBay. If I was going to build one which I was thinking of, I'd get a Diamond Back Diamond glass blank.

3. taxmiser

taxmiser New Member

Glass rods tend to have a "slower" action more like a bamboo rod. I prefer boo, then glass and a distant third comes graphite. Just my style I suppose as each has advantages and disadvantages. For large waters and big flies graphite is just the ticket. I spend as much time as possible pitching dries so the softer action rods work better for me since fly presentations are more "gentle".

Build one and you will never regret it!

Tight lines,

Dale

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I started flyfishing with brown Fenwick fiberglass rods in the mid 1970s. They have a full-flexing action similar to bamboo, but without the care issues or the periodic sets. They're wonderful for protecting fine tippets and produce beautiful, soft loops for delicate dry fly presentations.

Winston's Retro 3piece from several years ago reintroduced these wonderful fishing tools to a new generation - but at a hefty price. While the Retro has since been discontinued, I understand that Lamiglas still produces fiberglass blanks as does a custom blank builder down around Roseburg.

Curt Williams (who used to be the flyshop manager at Orvis in Bellevue) had FethaStyx build him a glass rod on a Lamiglass blank a couple years ago. I forget the specs but if I remember right, it was a 6 piece 7ft for 3wt or 4wt - perfect for small fish in small streams.

In short, try it, you'll like it.

K

5. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Glass rods 8' and under are sweet. I love the old Fenwicks and still use them in the summer and for all my small stream work. I have no problem using 6wts and if you want a more delicate presentation then just lengthen the leader. Most of them will cast a leader but still have the backbone with an open loop to cast big weighted flies and/or split shot.

Randy

6. wet line

wet line New Member

I own several glass rods and preffer them in many ways to graphite rods.

One of my favorites is a 7' 6wt that is fun to cast and fish with. It has the power to push 90 feet of line and the delicacy to drop a fly softly and accuratately. Short rods are generally easier to be more accurate with than longer sticks.

Personally I do not care for 3wts. A nice 7' 5wt or 6wt will do what you are looking for and have the capability to fish for larger fish.

Dave

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Dave makes a good point about heavier lines and fiberglass rods.

While most folks on this site have known nothing besides graphite rods, fiberglass was the rod material of choice for the thirty year period from roughly the end of WWII until the mid-1970s. From the 1900s until about the early 1970s, most rods and all high end rods were made of bamboo.

During this period, an HDG line (the equivalent of today's WF6) was THE standard line for almost all trout fishing - sort of the Chevy 283 of flyfishing. Fishing for steelhead or salmon moved up a couple weights to an 8wt or heavier. I still have the Fenwick 8wt 8' I caught my first steelhead with on a fly.

Orvis introduced the first lightline bamboo rods in the late 1970s, first for a 4wt and later for a 3wt. These early lightline rods received a mixed reception at best as most anglers of the day found them far too light to cast as far or as accurately as the 6wts they were used to, especially in the wind.

K

8. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking of a smaller rod, probably 6'6" 3-weight by Lamiglass. The 2 piece blank sells for $66 from Angler's Workshop. I did notice that fiberglass rods tend to come in very multiple piece configurations - I found a 10 piece rod blank - but that would seem like such a hassle to put together. Does fiberglass flex well through the ferrules, or at least better than graphite???

Wayne

9. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Wayne, multiple ferrules can make a glass rod stiffer - and that can be a good thing. I have a five-piece six-weight Fenwick Ferrulite that probably casts better than two- and three-piece versions.
    There's no difference in constructing glass vs. graphite rods. You do need to be sure that your reel seat fits the larger butt.