Fiberglass Wanted - para/metric

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by tonemike, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

looking for a fine medium-fast US made fiberglass rod in the 7' - 7'7" range for lighter lines. i'd really like a 7'- 7'6" PG-40 (curt gowdy para/metric model) or a S.A. system 4-5. please contact me if you have something in this range that you may part with. thanks.
    mike
    tonemike@verizon.net
    425-923-4035

2. wrench

wrench Member

Mike, I have an 8' PG40 you could have if you killed me first. What a sweet rod! Couple of comments...this rod, 8'PG40, is rated at a 7wt, throws a 6wt real well. It's twin, the Curt Gowdy PG40, is the same blank with more cosmetics attatched, it weighs a bit more, and is rated at 6/7wt. The base model rod also sells at a bit less as a bonus. The made in taiwan PG rods are a much faster action than the US rods, but are generally cheaper. A good alternative to the Berkley Parametrics are the Cortland FR2000 series glass rods, often reasonable priced and really a neat, sweet attractive glass rod.
    If I find one around at a good price, I will let you know.......yeah right!!!
    Glad to see somebody else appreciates glass rods...

3. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

the Gowdy rods

hey wrench,
    i just found a nice 6'3" para/metric...so i'm glad i won't have to pry yours from your cold dead fingers. :D i am getting it from a guy with the entire Curt Gowdy para/metric set of rods, including the 3pc 6'3" deluxe gowdy. you should see the pictures! i'm looking forward to figuring out which line i'll like best on it. i have seen a few cortland FR2000's around but have never heard anything good or bad about them. does a 2pc FR2000 flex mainly to the middle or would you say it flexes into the handle? i kinda like the faster glass rods. i've got 2 diamondglasses that i really like. you ought to try one if you get the chance.
    -mike

4. wrench

wrench Member

I am jealous now, I have never had a 6'3" parametric in my hands.....all the US made parametrics I have had have flexed allthe way into the cork, so much so that my PG40 8' 7wt, which is my workhorse rod, the cork is cracking. FR2000's are a very similar rod, maybe just a bit "faster", I have two, the line rating on these is, IMHO, off, I have a 7' FR2000 rated at 5/6, this rod just about folds in two trying to chuck a 6wt, and my 8'FR200 rated for 6/7, I have used it with a 7wt, but it really is a 6wt.
    Enjoy the new rod, let me know what you think! Glass IMO, makes a better short rod than graphite.

5. johnny

johnny New Member

Hi .. I am new to fly fishing and I have a Curt Gowdy PG40 8'6" rod. I don't think it has ever been used except possibly once. It was sort of excting to find someone who is aware of it as mine dates back about 35 years. I just assumed they were obsolete. Can you tell me anything about these rods? Such as there weight or anything else. I plan to head up into northern Saskatchewan this summer and try my luck on the Churchill River.
    Thanks for any pointers on the rod.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow, do they have fast action glass flyrods? LOL Sorry, all I've ever used were medium to medium light action. Even my 10wt rods would load almost into the handle. But those are old fenwicks mind you. Most of the other glass rods I ever cast were OLD Eagle Claws and I want to say Herters (some my Uncle had, think it started with an H, was a popular glass rod in the 50-60's here in the NW I know). Harden? Can't remember. But if one is mentioned, will know it. But all were slow. Would love to try a faster action. Would be interesting.

7. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

hey jerry,
    are you the guy who makes those nice/indestructible frames for big pontoons?
    anyways, some newer glass rods, especially the diamondglass series by diamondback, are fast for fiberglass (the 2pc ones anyway). if you every stoop to fishing for little native cutts on the west side, then a 7' 4wt diamondglass or the 7'6" 3wt (both 4wt's in my opinion) are a blast!! once you go over 7'6" IMHO, you may want to revert back to graphite as the longer rods don't perform as i like 'em to.

8. LeakyTiki

LeakyTiki Member

Media:
    Jerry, I think you may be thinking about Harnell? My Dad had a sweet Harnell salmon rod that he lost when he capsized our 19 foot boat on the Columbia river bar in about 1973. the rod was new in the 50's IIRC.
    LT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.