Fighting butt

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Dave Evans, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I just found a 7wt blank I had been looking for for some time and I want to put a nice reel seat and fighting butt on it. This will be my third build, but my first with a fighting butt. Do you need to buy a "matched set" to make sure they fit together, or do you just glue the fighting butt on the blank? Also, any recommendations on nice reel seats now that struble is out of the business?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to everyone!

2. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

The butt will just glue to the blank. Super easy and you can match it with any seat.

Dave Evans likes this.
  3. LD

LD Active Member

You can also get reel seats that have a removable but section - just unscrews. That way you can take it off when you do not think you will need it.

4. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Me after eating bean burrito = fighting butt.

Sorry I am 11 years old at heart...cannot help myself.

5. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

That just about sums it up. You may want to look for a reel seat with "TRIM RING" It just gives a more finished look

Dave Evans likes this.
  6. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

I've always liked REC products. The couple times I've talked to someone on the phone, they've also been friendly and helpful.

7. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Be sure that the butt cap is removable, or you'll have to drill it. Or that the reel seat comes in component parts.