filthy animals

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Chris Banta

Chris Banta Member

did she bring a bag and pack it out?

2. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

How come when I do something like that it leads to a public morals charge and EPA enforcement?

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I always just thought someday spilled milkduds upstream. Mmmmmm...... milkduds.

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  4. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

one word; "Elk"...
    I'm thinking 'bout a size 6 to match an elk "hatch".

5. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Greg: Re the cow moose, I don't know, but it occurs to me that animals that are prey for big predators may learn to hide bodily waste in streams so as to leave no evidence for wolves, etc. Does anybody know?

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I've seen lots and lots of deer and elk poop on land so I don't think they poop or pea exclusively in rivers .... :)

It could be, they just poop or pea when they feel like it and it doesn't matter if they're walking through a forest or crossing a river.

Horses certainly are not picky as to when they poop and the same may hold true for deer, elk and moose.

7. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Yep, deer, elk, moose and some of us old farts. Now we really know where the name "Elk" hair caddis came from. Seems we've all been tying them wrong.

8. Bonefish Jack

Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

There is a great practical joke here, to pull on the uninitiated ...

You have to have a package of milk duds ... and you then place a small pile of the milk duds on the ground, in a place where you can call attention to them, identifying them as deer (or elk, or whatever) turds ... reach down, pick up a couple, and taste them ... turn to the uninitiated, and say, with certainty, "these are from a buck, the male always has sweeter turds than the females"

triploidjunkie likes this.
  9. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

I like that! :)

That reminds me of the old joke about the ranger giving tips to a group of backpackers in Montana who were about to hike into bear country.

He explained that brown bears, also known as "grizzlies", were a lot more unpredictable and dangerous than black bears and advised the group to wear "bear bells" on their packs. These are small bells attached to the pack in order to make noise and avoid the issue of completely surprising a bear with possibly life-threatening results. He also advised the group to carry pepper spray to shoot in the face of a charging bear.

Additionally, he said they'd have to be able to identify the bear scat they encountered in order to determine if bears were in the area and whether they were the more dangerous grizzlies or the less so black bears.

One of the hikers asked "What's the difference between brown bear and black bear scat?"

The ranger replied "Black bear scat will usually be a smaller pile than brown bear and you'll see the remains of berries in the pile. If you hold it up to your nose it will often smell of berries. A pile of grizzly scat will be much larger, full of small bells and will smell like pepper!" :p

10. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
    Sometimes ya gotta go where ya gotta go :)

11. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I know I'm not the only guy familiar with the term "smart pills". A few years ago on a 3 family winter trip to Winthrop, I found myself walking with most of the kids through some of the MVSTA trails. Of course we saw deer poop and I referred to them as "smart pills". The boys asked "really?", and I said sure thing. But I had to intervene quick as they promptly scooped some up and almost had them in the mouth.
    Guess we all heard it first somewhere, I from my Dad.