Fin clipped coho question

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Anyone know where a Puget Sound coho might be headed that had both the adipose and one pelvic fin clipped?
    Just curious after watching a fellow WFF member catch one this weekend with two clipped fins.
    Thanks,
    SF

2. Fishcounternw

Fishcounternw New Member

These fish are part of a delayed release program at Minter Creek (200k) and the Squaxin Island netpens (80k). The intent is to encourage residulization in PS to support year-round coho fisheries. The delayed release program has been in place for years but the differential marking now give us the ability to document success (or failure). Currently little information exist regarding contributions from the release groups. Hopefully this will change.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  3. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I was going to guess Squaxin fish. Sounds like fishcounter has the correct info :)

4. Stonefish

FCNW,
    Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with the resident coho program as I grew up in the south sound.
    What I was trying to determine is where this particular fish was headed. Do they clip the opposite pelvic fin to distinguish between Minter and Squaxin fish?
    SF

nailbender likes this.
  5. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

My dad lives right across from the other side of squaxin, opposite from where they have the net pens. he regularly paddles out in his canoe and buys a couple from the indians who net in front of his house. I will ask him what he see's for clipping on those fish next time I talk to him.

6. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

Brian, I think it was the right pelvic fin.

Doug

7. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I caught one with a clipped pelvic fin (and perhaps adipose as well?) on the Sol Duc a couple years ago, but don't remember what Peninsula hatchery program that corresponded to.

8. Fishcounternw

Fishcounternw New Member

The delayed release fish are vertral fin clipped not pelvic. Cant recall what side per hatchery but I'll check.

9. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

FYI, ventral and pelvic fins are the same, just different nomenclature. Most guys I know refer to them as ventral on salmonids.

Dorsal, adipose, caudal, anal, ventral, and pectoral.

$.02

Dan

plaegreid and nailbender like this.
  10. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Sure it wasn't a steelhead? The Snider Creek broodstock steelhead program used to (it's gone as of a couple years ago, right?) have adipose intact, ventral clips.

11. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Totally sure, looked like the coho in my profile pic, except pectoral fin was clipped. By "ventral" are you referring to the fins by the head that I refer to as "pectoral," or the fins by the vent which I think are usually referred to as "pelvic?"

Found an interesting study that shows survival is not affected by "ventral" fin clipping in Chinook... I find this to be fairly surprising!
    http://www.fws.gov/columbiariver/publications/VENTRALFINCLIP.pdf

12. Stonefish

Chris Johnson likes this.
  13. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Found a pic

Attached Files:

14. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Hmmmm. That guy is definitely a coho, minus an adipose and a pectoral fin. I wonder if it came off at the hachery or naturally? But I was referring to the ventral or 'pelvic' fin. The Snider creek steelhead on the Sol Duc have the ventral fin clipped, but not the adipose. You can see my confusion. That's a bright fish, too. Was that a summer coho or was it in the fall?

15. cook

cook Member

Interested in this thread and thinking about it with my fairly limited experience with Coho. On a weeklong trip to Alaska last year, we were limiting almost daily, but these were Summer Coho and part of a harvest hatchery system they're using in SE Alaska (from what I was told) Basically these Coho behave like sockeye in that they first run to lakes, sit for a while, then do their final spawning migration in the feeder streams in the fall. Where I fished, these Coho were intercepted on the first stage of their migration through a fish ladder, gassed, gaffed, then bled and packed for consumption (They show up at local groceries stores as Snow Pass Coho). We fished them staging and in the rivers and they bit all day long. I'm wondering whether these summer fish were more active because of the different nature of their migration. Also, I was wondering if there are other summer runs like this in WA?

When I returned, I fished for staging Coho in Dabob bay--casting to similar numbers of fish but nothing biting. Moved up to the mouth of the Quilcene and fished out on the estuary at low tide--nothing. Only people I saw catching were those either snagging or flossing on the river.

(thought I was posting on the lights out thread--doesn't totally apply here, but would still love to know about summer coho/fall coho in the sound)

16. Rich Schager

Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

The double clipped South Sound Coho's come from Minter and Squaxin. Minter's are right pelvic/ventral fin clipped, and the left clipped ones come from the Squaxin net pens.

Roger Stephens and Stonefish like this.
  17. Stonefish

Rich,
    Thanks for the info.
    Since the fish was caught in northern MA 9 in mid September, it would have still had a bit of a journey left to travel before hitting Minter.
    SF

18. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Thanks for the great information!

When fishing for resident coho in the Tacoma area, I have always wondered whether fish caught were from the Squaxin Is. net pens or Minter cr. hatchery. Now it will be easy to determine where a fish was released from.

Roger

19. Rich Schager

Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

Roger, the double clipped fish are late released fish (around the first of July) that are deemed to be "sportmans salmon", as they are more apt to stay in the Sound. All the others releasd earlier in the year will only be single clipped. My son caught a 4 pound Squaxin dual clipped fish last week, and he caught another 4 pound Squaxin clipped fish yesterday. These are the first dual clipped fish we have ever seen.

Rich.

20. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Question for you south Sound regulars. What portion of those "resident" coho you catch during the winter/spring are fin clipped?

While I do not fish them at that time of the year I always spend some time fishing for them in the central Sound during July/early August. I'm always surprised at the portion of the fish we catch (both with gear and flies) that are not clipped. This year was not different with more than 1/2 of the coho being unclipped. Pretty clear that those fish are from multiple stocks including a significant contribution from wild production.

BTW -
    Did not see a single ventral clipped fish.

Curt