Final Weekend for Ducks

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by D3Smartie, Jan 25, 2008.

1. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Good luck to everyone headed out this weekend. Gonna be icy and cold. Be careful and post up some pics upon your return.
    I am headed for E WA. :thumb:
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    May the wind be at your back, sun in your face, and ducks crossing left to right...:thumb:
  3. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    well it was icy and cold. And very snowwy on sunday.
    Saturday was very tough as we were set up near some guys that scraped at everything... mergansers that they let float, GEs, geese, cormorants... you name it, it got shot at. Most of the time at 75-100 yards. YIKES!!!:mad:
    We ended up with 4 ducks and a goose before we had had enough of that and took off. Spent the rest of the day jump shooting for a couple more birds.
    Sunday i went back to the same spot as before as i really didnt have a better place to go and the same clowns were there again. So i stuck around for an hour. saw 2 flights of geese that didnt want to look and had one mallard working in until they opened up on their calls and blew him out of there. These late season ducks were so spooky. :beathead::beathead: And the snow had most of the birds not moving so i went and did a little more jump shooting and ended up with 5 ducks to close out my season, including a banded drake mallard. :thumb:
    Tough last couple weeks but I can't wait for next season to do it again.
    :beer2:
  4. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    D3Smartie,

My season ended the weekend prior to closing, but I have a feeling that the clowns you ran into where out on the lake with me the week before!

I had two guys 'sky blasting' at flock after flock that if they would have just waited for them to pass one more time they would have been in the 20-30 yard range and committed! To boot one of them kept motoring around to scare up the few smaller flocks that landed outside their range. Needless to say we only got two in the bag...a cripple that 'swam' into our deeks and a wigeon. Needless to say we took our sweet ass time picking up decoys :p

Idiots with guns...great combo! :mad:
  5. soreshoulder New Member

seattle, wa, usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    had a great weekend. set up decoy's on... with a buddy for a couple of ducks saturday... finished the limits jump shooting. sunday, wow amazed i made it home with all that snow (rear wheel drive doesnt like those conditions)... took 6 jump shooting. fun exercise walking creeks in the snow. the amazing part for me was how tight some of the ducks held... reminded me of quail or pheasants... anybody else ever experience this..?
  6. Steven Mobley Member

Rancho Murieta, Ca
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Sorry to hear that it isn't much different in your state. That's part of the reason I now choose to pay (or be a guest of others) in private clubs, or pay trespass fees to hunt/fish on private property for my hunting/fishing activities. Too many freaking idiots! I keep hearing how the number of hunters and fisherman keeps shrinking year after year causing budget shortfalls for enforcement and stocking/planting/wildlife management.

I sure have not noticed any significent difference when I'm in the field or stream. Just the opposite. More and more sportsman are competing for access to less and less public lands. My outdoor shooting/fishing/hunting recreation activities keep getting costlier each year, with more and more presure from others. The odds of getting drawn for a refuge hunt are 1 in 75 and it costs you a couple of dollars just to get into the drawing. Can you believe this crap?
  7. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    andrew- sounds like lake terrel to me but thats just a guess...

S.M.- If i had the money to pay for a lease, a good one, i'd be all over it but at the same time i dont want to feel tied down to one spot. I love the fact that i can shoot hundreds of birds a year on public ground and much of the time have it all to myself. I had a 5 day stretch of limits with my good friends over thanksgiving and never saw another person. It was awesome.
    In most cases, a lease might be really good 3 or 4 times a year. Well at 250 bucks per guided hunt, i would likely be better off getting a guide for those days and hunting their stuff that they pay the big bucks for and manage.
    I go expecting to limit by noon and see a lot of birds. I know i can go do this on public land up here 90% of the time. a lease just doesnt make sense.

sore- the ducks i saw this weekend held until i was right on top of them, but i am also pretty sneaky :) the mallards usually will be pretty skittish. the Teal, and wood ducks seem to hold the best. Woodies especially. I have had them hold for a long time while i stood around trying to retrieve a quail or something along a creek and only once i turn away would they flush.
  8. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
  9. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    i hear you there... the company can sure make things tough. I dont mind hunting around people, as long as they know how to call, work birds and dont sky bust.
    how was your season overall up there?
  10. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    'My' season was alright...never limited the few times I had a chance to go, but I did hear overall that it was not a banner year.

Overall the four times I made it out I came home with 10 birds.

The last time out was just absolutely sickening with possibilities, flock after flock swarming us, checking us out from 50-60 yards, and getting closer with each pass, and then the infamous wham WHAM wham wham!

I should of guessed we were in for a treat at the landing when I talked briefly to the other guys and had asked which blind they where heading for. They had asked if I was out there the day before, I told them no I was at Terrel and the birds were weary, and that is when one of the jokers exclaims "thats why I only shoot 3-1/2" magnums...so I can reach out and 'kiss' them at 50 yards or more!" Hence why my first bird of that morning was a cripple!!!
  11. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    yeah... i hear you on that. People think that a 3 1/2 inch shell will make up for their inability to actually work birds. pisses me off!
    Its tough when you have to deal with that kind of competition but thats when a spinner and some hard(tactful) calling will really set you apart from the other clowns.
  12. CoastalCutt Member

North Bend, WA
    Sorry to hear everyone had dickheads near em'. I finished off my season with a beach diver hunt with my Lab Turbo out on Camano Island. Limited quickly on Drake Goldeneyes and Buffleheads. They came bombin in to the longlines all morning. Can't wait to do it all over again!
  13. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Being from Michigan I've never tasted a sea duck, but have heard they taste like fish...sardines to be exact?

As for the 3.5" magnum guys...I wonder if the problem of skyblasting morons would be semi solved or at least dimished if shells a piece were like 3-4 dollars in range? Not that I would personally want that to happen...but just curious.
  14. CoastalCutt Member

North Bend, WA
    I jerky all my duck meat so in the smoker I can't quite tell the difference between a mallard and a buffle....at least no one diver hunts hardly thus there are no 3.5 inch skypunching assholes.
  15. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    andrew- they aren;t called $hit ducks for no reason. There are some that can be made to taste reasonable, but I'll take a fat cornfed mallard every time over a diver or sea duck.
  16. CoastalCutt Member

North Bend, WA
    I like mallards too. Problem is 99.9% of every other hunter out there does too....So I'm fine hunting with the whole sound to myself!
  17. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    It is nice to have an area to yourself. I had my favorite area to myself for 5 days over Thanksgiving with thousands of mallards using it. what a week that was.
    never been able to get into hunting divers myself. i wouldnt mind trying the layout thing for oldsquaw on the sound or hunting redheads or cans somewhere, but i much prefer to work birds, use the calls and then go hunt upland.