Finally, back on the water again ;)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Billy McFly, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Finally got out on the Yak yesterday. I thought it had been 15 years since I last cast a fly but my wife let me know it was more like 20….. I drove over to Reds, bought some flies and practiced casting upstream for the boat launch. Spent about 1 ½ hours up to my thighs in the Yakima just getting my stroke back. I did ok, no snaps or lost flies.

I do have one observation/question. I have a WW Griggs 9ft 4 wt with a 4WF floating line. I used to use fiberglass rods. With this newer rod I could not feel much of the rod loading up on the back cast. I got used to it and did fine but as I recall with the fiberglass rods I had a better sense of the pressure building on the back cast than I do with this graphite rod. - Any thoughts?

I can’t tell you how nice it was to be on the river again. I think next weekend I’ll try to find a spot on the upper Yak to dunk my fly ;)
  2. Angler 77 AKA Scott Jones

Port Townsend, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Good for you! How nice of your wife to remind you that it had in fact been that long ;)
  3. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA

Yeah time flies faster the older you get and I'm getting old :confused:

I have a lot of fishing to make up!
  4. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I don't know about WW Griggs, but I can definitely "feel" the cast better on my Orvis TLS than my Scott SAS. The SAS gets better with a heavier line (RIO Grand).

Perhaps a different line would flex the rod more? Perhaps try a few rods here and there to get a better style match?
  5. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Glad you got out. I am not familiar with your rod, but suspect you are simply noticing the difference between a "fast" graphite rod and a "slower" fiberglass rod. Lots of different opinions here on both. You'll get used to the feel of whatever rod you use.

Or, you could buy any of a number of slow action glass rods or a bamboo rod, or try a medium action graphite rod. Or, all of the above. If you are going to get back into fly fishing you might as well jump in with both feet - just don't forget your wallet.

Have fun.
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,405 / 0
    Your not old.....................I'm the old bastard
  7. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +770 / 0
    get in line, Jim!
  8. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Thanks all - I'm going to switch to the Rio Grand line. The extra weight cant hurt but it seems to me it defeats the purpose of going with a 4wt rod to begin with.

HAHA Pops - you may have a few years on me but I have a fake hip. :eek:
  9. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Or try the Rio Gold. It is at the upper-end of the grain window for a 4wt but has more mass towards the front.
  10. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA

Thanks RustE - I just ordered a Rio Gold 4wt. Cant wait to try it out - Thanks for the advice
  11. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 1
    You may want to try a DT4 on it to slow it a little for you.
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    How is your fake hip treating you. I hear about recalls all the time. My ex mother-in-law had that done also.

I wonder how much longer that they will replace brains. I know some that could use a new one now.
  13. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    The hips great - Some days (after skiing or backpacking) it's the only thing that doesn't hurt. I did hold out for a metal on metal hip and so far no recall on the one I have.
  14. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I have a buddy that fishes with a WW Gregg rod. He likes it. It didn't cost him an arm and a leg to buy it. To each his own on what works for each of us.
  15. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Yeah - It's only a $125 rod. I have a heavier line on the way that I think will help. The more I fish the better feel I'll have for it.