FINALLY!!! Caught some SRC's

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by daveypetey, Aug 25, 2012.

1. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    After going out 3 times, I finally got into 5 SRC's this morning between 8-10am just south of Lincoln Park. Smallest was unquestionably tiny, and the biggest was only 12 or so inches. Wind was up early blowing right in my face the whole morning, and I still haven't bought a intermediate sinking line, so I was running a floating line with a slip on sinking tip. I am ordering a line today as those tips are impossible to turn over in all but the calmest conditions at distance. Most exciting part of the day was getting a good scare from a really big Salmon following my fly to within about 10 feet of me. I had been looking into the water watching small cuts follow my fly up to the beach, when all of the sudden this football thick fish is coming at me. I actually jumped a bit in the water having never tried to tackle anything that big in my 15 years of land locked fly fishing. I really could use some pointers on stripping style. I have no idea what sort of length, speed, or frequency I should be using.

Just want to say a BIG THANKS to EVERYONE, especially Steve Knapp, for all the help getting me set-up for a great day and my first of hopefully many SRC's.
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  2. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4
    Congrats! Glad your efforts paid off for ya. Sure is exciting when a nice fish chases your fly right to the rod tip, isn't it? Even more so when they annihilate it right in front of you!

Keep up the good work
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Your post made me smile. First because you caught your first NW trout, and second because you picked up beach fishing in only three trips. :)
  4. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    {quote="daveypetey, post: 757698, member: 20432"]After going out 3 times, I finally got into 5 SRC's this morning between 8-10am just south of Lincoln Park.

Just want to say a BIG THANKS to EVERYONE, especially Steve Knapp, for all the help getting me set-up for a great day and my first of hopefully many SRC's.[/quote]

Congratulations on your successful outing.

I had a nice conversation with Steve once during a fly swap. Great to hear that he helped you get going in the right direction.

That large salmon most likely was a silver waiting to pounce on your fly. Next time try letting your fly sink for a few seconds then follow it with some quick strips of your line as they like the fast retrieve.
  5. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    It's a good time to be fishing from a beach stripping flies. You just don't know what might happen! You could have gone for quite a ride :D
  6. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    Awesome brother, glad you found some fish.. They just keep getting more aggresive through January! Now start thinking topwater and you'll really lose your mind!!!