Finally done with my new pontoon!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Dirk Pitt, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Dirk Pitt New Member

Tenino, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  2. Choclab another damn rookie

Ellensburg, Wa
    Thats pretty sweet. :thumb: How long did it take?
  3. Flyjunky New Member

Bend, OR
    That looks great, who makes those tubes?
  4. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Hi Dirk,

Sweet ride!! It looks as though it will be really stable. I especially like the built-in rod holders on the left. I do wonder if you'll find that the white caps in the front of the boat won't end up being just a snag-fest for fly lines. I'm continually amazed at the tiny protuberances/straps etc. on my pontoon boat that decide to catch my flyline when my attention is elsewhere (like avoiding upcoming rocks).

Good luck on the maiden voyage!

Steve
  5. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Sweet looking ride!

'Mac
  6. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    That boat looks like the 'Escalade' of pontoons :thumb:
  7. Dirk Pitt New Member

Tenino, Wa
    The frame probably took a couple of weekends for Sos to build, then my time for all the accessories(floor/anchor/seat/rod holders/etc..). The pontoons are 10ft x 19" Maxxon tubes. Us Ford mechanics prefer this toon to be called the "Excursion" of pontoons, Lol! Here are a couple more pics showing the add on section for an additional seat and the "flip up" seat frame to allow access to a 50+ quart cooler. Bob.
  8. Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

WA
    Dirk,

I'm a drift boat guy not a pontoon guy but your work is very, very impresive, well done!

FH
  9. Mark Kulikov Active Member

Polson Montana
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    Please post a reply after you run it on Saturday. I'd be curious to know how it does on the water.
  10. Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

Harstine Island
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    That's one mean fishin' machine! Looks great!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  11. Dirk Pitt New Member

Tenino, Wa
    Well, to sum it up in one word, AWESOME! This thing fishes great. Handles like a dream, pivots quick, tracks straight, handles my weight moving around perfectly, can stand on one toon and not tip! We were mainly working out any bugs, adjustments, etc...I adjusted the oar position, and that was it! Rained all day, no steelhead caught for us(we werent really trying, though), did talk to a local at the Porter takeout who caught and released a couple. Only fish of the day was a ten inch cuttie I got on a copper leach pattern. One heck of a day, though, pontoon boat fishing is awesome! Bob.
  12. Highfly Member

Everson, WA
    Sweet ride, guy!! With the Maxxon tubes and beefy frame, though, you might be better served to call it a cat than a 'toon. Whatever it is, I call it kick-ass!!!:beer2:
  13. Dirk Pitt New Member

Tenino, Wa
    I think youre right, Highfly! This thing is heavy....like 150lbs ready to fish heavy. I need to design a wheel to quick release under it, so the uphill takeouts arent ball-busters! Anyone have any ideas? Bob.
  14. Mark Kulikov Active Member

Polson Montana
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    How much does it weigh was going to be my next question, and you answered that in your last post. That looks like a fishing machine.....now you got me thinking of taking on another project. And is was just getting used to the couch potato thang.....Seriously, great job.
  15. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Bob,
    Great job!
    Did you float Oakville to Porter?
    You should star in a new TV series, call it "Pimp My Toon".
    Brian
  16. Charlie Riddle New Member

North Kitsap County, WA.
    :beer2: NICE WORK! You did a great design job and assembly of your project. I hope you enjoy many years of grate fishing out of her.
  17. Wayne Chan Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Bob, I've heard of people putting the front fork and wheel from a kid's bicycle on for ground transport. If it is a tube to slide the fork in, you could set it in wheel side up while on water.
  18. HappyHooker Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Snohomish, WA.
    Nice boat Dirk! How long did it take ya to build? That's a great piece of work you made right there...Hope you get many enjoyable fishing trips out of it!

-Duke