Finally

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Alex MacDonald, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Well, after sending it in on 13 January, my little Mossberg Silver Reserve should finally appear at High Mountain Hunting Supply in Wenatchee tomorrow sometime!! Two months and change while they repaired-hopefully-the barrel selector function. I found-on a brand new gun-if I switched barrels, there was no second shot!

Which leads me to a thought: Double triggers are quicker, and unless you're shooting 5-stand or sporting clays, you don't need removable chokes on a two-barrel gun. Single barrel, yes, but double? Not necessary, and here's my thoughts on it;

Assume you're hunting upland with your double, and your dog flushes a bird at 25 yards-a hen pheasant-and a rooster flushes at 35 yards in a sympathy flush: Do you think you'll actually have time to change the barrel selector and still take the shot? Orrrrr.... is it quicker to simply slide your finger back and yank the second trigger? Choke-wise, I'd put in a cylinder choke on the right tube, and if shooting lead, an extra-full on number two. Mind you, I'm shooting a 28bore with 2.5 inch shells; if it were a 20, with 2.75in shells, I might go with an IM on the second tube. Anyone have a thought on this??

2. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

In my 12 and 20 i always ran a cyl and imp.First shot cyl and imp for second.
    If i had bird a bird that jumped up far out there i would either let it go or take the first shot then the second.I thought it was much faster than either moving the selector or trigger.I dont like the double triggers because it just confuses me.

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Alex, I like the versatility of variable chokes on my doubles. I can use the same gun for early season, up close quail or spooky late season pheasant. My one fixed choke double is the same in both barrels, I believe it was meant to be a skeet gun, but it kills grouse just fine. I've never selected a different barrel on a flush, only on a hunch before the flush...that's my two cents...

4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Upland birds, early season, 20 ga: imp cyl and mod. Later season birds: 12 ga imp cyl/modl preserve birds: 20 ga imp cyl/imp cyl Dove: 28 or 20 ga. skeet/imp cyl or imp cyl/imp cyl. forest grouse: 20 ga imp cyl/imp cyl South African rock pigeons: doesn't matter, I can't him them with anything.

5. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Congrats on your new gun. May it give you and yours years of pleasure.

I'd get tubes. Replaceable tubes allow a lot of flexibility on loads and shot, while old-style bored chokes don't allow the new non-toxic shot, which in fact will become the rule for all hunting in not too long, like it or not. When I shot O/U's, I was quick enough to select the barrel and proper choke, or get on the bird, but not both, and frankly the way I shoot I've never felt choking made a difference in the birds I got or missed...I'm just not that good. In your scenario above, I'd fumble with the selector and never get a shot off, and that'd be good, because I'd likely shoot myself in the behind once I found the trigger. This is how I disappoint my dog.

These days, I tend to shoot I/C for waterfowl, and modified for upland, out of my Benelli. It's an effective tool, but it ain't a double, and I feel the pull.

Again, enjoy your new gun, I hope you wear it out.

6. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    I'm convinced this non-tox rubbish is just that! Especially given the price of shells like Hevi Shot, at 3 bucks/round, it's a way to eliminate hunting, and I've NEVER seen a bird that died of "ingested" lead poisoning. But then again, I've never hunted on dry ground for waterfowl. I hunted them occasionally with a 20bore muzzleloader, and had to get bismuth for that one, at 10 bucks a pound before the huge price increase. My daughter claims there are lots of studies that bear this ingestion issue out, but I haven't read one yet.

My hope this year is that the Spring will be good for upland birds, especially grouse, unlike the last two Springs. Maybe we should begin to think about a grouse shoot this fall? That would be a ton of fun!

Roper, you're right-it's a skeet gun.

7. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

8. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Thanks for the sites, Guy. I remain very skeptical considering the sources of many of the articles, however. Even the gvt. stuff. Given the downturn in waterfowlers, and shotgunners in general, as constantly decried by every state's fish & game department, I'd expect to see less lead returned to the environment as a result. I also got a big laugh at the claim in the gvt. article that "Target loads made with nontoxic shot are now available
    (J. C. Franson, USGS).". Of course they are, at about $24/box!!
    http://www.targetshotguns.com/product-list/ammunition-1625/ammo-shotshells-non-toxic-1634/
    I get my Winchester AA lead target loads from Wally World at less than 5 bucks a box.

I'd be all for a viable-price equivalent alternative to lead, but I'm afraid that isn't going to happen anytime soon. As a form of ammunition, steel is garbage. It has no mass compared with heavier elements, it won't deform when passing through the bird, it has no ballistic "carry" due to the lack of mass, and results in many more crippled birds. Unfortunately, in an attempt to make up for it's lack of efficiency, steel shotshell manufacturers went for speed in an effort to have more effect at standard ranges. This doesn't work thanks to steel's light weight and several other factors. And for all of my vintage guns, shooting steel is not possible, it'll ruin the barrels!

9. ribka

ribka Active Member

X2 steel is garbage.

Lead bullets for hunting are outlawed in Kaleeforniya. and they just categorized copper bullets as armor piercing thereby making them illegal.

just an endgame by the G to end hunting and make firearms useless. Start buying those lead based rounds now. I just picked up 10 bricks of CCI Blazer 22 Lr on sale.

Stocking on reloading supplies the past few years.

10. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Not yet, Tom, thank goodness!! It was tried and the move failed statewide, but it is restricted in their "condor" area. Living in the Sacramento area, I'd just drive to Reno to Cabela's for lead. At least the Nevadans aren't willing to follow the lemmings in CA. Pretty much anyone with a brain, who could leave that state has left!

My old man prided himself on his ability to load steel for ducks, and always had "experimental" shotshells that were just a little below lightspeed. What he really should have been working on was a railgun!

11. ribka

ribka Active Member

12. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Where is your hunt, Tom? Someplace in central CA?

13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I shoot a 12 and 20 also and like WAbowman usually have in cylinder and imp cylinder. In the 12 gauge it works fine with both lead and steel. In the 20 the chokes are a little sketchy and I sometimes to crank things up to Imp and Modified. Things might be different if I'd step up to 1 oz loads in the 20 gauge.

I also have two 20 gauges and ones a selective single trigger and the other is a two trigger sxs. Found out on quail that no matter how hard I yank the trigger the second time the gun still doesn't fire. Need to move to the other trigger.