Finally

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chris Bellows, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

This summer's saltwater fishing has not even come close to meeting the high expectations I had leading into it. Mostly it has been a lack of fishing, but the days I have gotten out I have been stymied by wind, fog, and gated roads (closing the best kayak launch at neah bay).

Yesterday started off a bit oddly. The weather observation site was down so no real time wind reports before leaving. I guess luckily I also couldn't find my fishing license after my last steelhead trip so I headed to Swain's to buy a duplicate license. The reason I say luckily is that I get a great view of the Strait as I drive north on Peabody Street to get there. It honestly looked a bit marginal wind wise.

As I drove home I decided that I was going regardless. I needed to get on the water and at least check out one of my favorite spots. With the truck loaded I headed to the water.

As I unloaded the kayak and got dressed I could feel the gusts building. I mumbled, "F#$%!!!" but continued getting rigged up. I paddled out and started fishing. It was blowing pretty good as I paddled out to the kelp surrounding the point.

I fished a popper in the kelp as long as I could but the wind and the drift were making casting a floating head a little too difficult. I paddled to the water on the outside of the kelp and started casting a sinking head (water loading a sinking shooting head makes dealing with the wind much easier). The drift was quickly pushing me north into deeper water.

The water started changing and I could tell I was in a nice rip even if the wind removed much of the rip's definition. The rip ran north-south which was perfect as my drift was almost true north. Twice I though I felt soft bumps but with the amount of salad in the rip I wouldn't say they were fish.

As I was about to cast, reel up, and paddle back I felt weight. It wasn't anything big but it was a salmon. I quickly brought it to the side of the boat and released the 18-20 inch blackmouth. Not what I was looking for but a nice way to end the drought.

Chris

2. Tony James

Tony James Member

a little reward for putting in the effort - keeps you going back - well done!