Finally!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jason Rolfe, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Well,

After 20+ days fishing the salt over the last month, with only one decent sized fish hooked and lost and a smattering of little guys, I finally got me a silver!

Hit it during the outgoing tide, out in the sunlight, in moderate current. This thing hit hard and fought really, really well. Gave me at least three good runs when nearly beached, a good amount of dogged head-shaking. I would have given anything to see my face while I was fighting it, because I'm sure I looked ridiculous--just 100% zeroed in on it, focused like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway, after a minute or two of fighting her, brought it up on the beach, knelt down on top of it and gave a nice big whoop! Took it on a chartreuse over pink clouser, with a couple peacock herls tied in down each side.

As a bit of comic relief, after I cut the gills it was still flopping around a bit so I got a hold of the tail and gave its head a solid thwap on a log. Blood spurted all over the front me--I just laughed at myself.

Can't say enough how awesome this was, how excited I am to grill it up, and how much I appreciate all the help you guys having given me over the last month. What an awesome fish...Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow morning.

Jason

Attached Files:

2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Congrats! The first of many.
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,134 / 4
    Way to go Jason!! Your persistence has paid off. Sure is an amazing feeling. I would have paid good money to be sitting in a lawn chair watching the show.
  4. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    Congrats Jason! Wish I could have made it out this AM to see it.

My backpacking trip might be moving to next weekend. If it is, let's hit the salt!
  5. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +337 / 0
    Nice work Jason, you earned your silver.
  6. brettgaba New Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Congrats! I am a couple steps behind you. Just caught my first SRC and am itching to get my first coho now.
  7. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Thanks guys.

I don't know how much time everyone else put in for their first one, but damn I worked hard for this fish. I don't even want to think about the cost of it in terms of gas and fly tying materials.:D

Regardless though--so worth it. Fought like a champ. I saw some guys pull some duds out recently, and I was just hoping and praying my first one didn't end up being like one of those. This one made me work, for sure.

J
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  8. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    It's amazing what a nice fish does for one's focus! The other day I was fishing a scrappy Yakima bow in a run next to the highway. According to the guy I was fishing with I got a nice honk from a passing trucker, but the only thing I heard was the sound of the fish jumping out of the water.
  9. dcm Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 4
    Way to stick with it. Sweet fish.
  10. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +213 / 0
    Congrats on a nice fish! It sure is a good feeling when things start coming together. So how much action was there on the beach? I've been hearing reports of it being pretty dead this week in MA-9 at least.
  11. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Only saw one other fish caught, on gear. I was the only fly fisher there. Actually had the whole place to myself for about 45 minutes. I caught a smaller one (maybe 1-2 lbs.) earlier in the morning, and was definitely getting some bumps on the fly of some sort, here and there.

J
  12. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,134 / 4
    Aye. Been hearing the same things about our area this week. I'm starting to get chums on the brain.

Ay
  13. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Man,

I want some more silver action, but I almost can't wait for chums now!

J
  14. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    Hell yeah! Congrats man nice fish. The first of many I am sure.
  15. Rosetime Member

Snoqualmie,WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Great job. This board has got me going NUTS! I know I'm a little late to the party but I've hit three different beaches the last two weeks with only one quick hookup and loss yesterday. Can't wait for my first.
  16. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    Great job Jason and very nice post. Thanks for sharing and hopefully many more to come.
  17. High Flyin Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0