Finns VS Oars

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Chef, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Way to deal with it. Hat is off to you.

2. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

Chef,
    I apologize for seeming to hijack your thread, but felt like I needed to explain the reasoning behind my choices.

I did a float tube trip on the Iroquois river earlier in the year before I blew out those discs, (October, 2004), & I'm quite sure that the short 3' wooden paddle kept me more mobile than fins in the shallower stretches, but having a few "go to"options are essential.
    The only way you can keep your options open is to take as much with you as you care to carry, then hope you have enough of the right stuff, just in case you actually have a need.
    I've found that experience is the best teacher, learn & know the waters your going on, then make up a gear list with at least one alternative for each thing you decide to take with you, listing it's priority of importance. Things like carrying stick matches in a small waterproof medicine bottle, & also keeping a couple of good butane lighters full are also a couple of items that I carry, wherever I go. TP+corncob (scratch the spare corncob) Matches don't take up much space but corncobs do.
    Well, .... you know what I mean right?

3. cboston1617

cboston1617 New Member

I float a toon' down the yakima river often. I believe the danger of fishing while running the river is dangerous in a pontoon. If I hook a big fish, lose my concentration for a moment, and come into a corner....could be curtains. Not a good plan. I'd leave the fins at home and use the pontoon for transport when floating rivers.

4. Chef

Chef New Member

cbo: at least you would go out fishing and hooking a fish! :)