Fins

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by jordan101, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

You're not the only one. I have tried them and thought they worked well but not $200.00 worth as compared to other alternatives. Been using Creek Company fins for a long time. I'm on my second pair. Originaly they were $40.00 now up to $50.00. Over time (5+ years) the straps deteriorate from either atmosphere or light exposure so its best to order an extra pair of straps for the long run and keep them sealed in a dark place.

TC

2. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

You know, I wonder if folks had a pair of each to try, which would they pick...?

I say that, because up until now, I have never even heard of scuba fins being used for boats/tubes. The "rage" about Force fins has "flooded" the market of opinion. :confused:

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

You have to hand it to Force Fins marketing arm. They are selling an average product at a premium price and have pretty much conned the fly fishing community into believing there is nothing better. They have done this with a decades old design and tooling that has been amortized for years while making no major changes. The surge to own FF's has become a get-on-the-bandwagon sort of deal that has parallels in other products I've seen over the years. Think BMW's back in the '80s, CB radios, Beanie Baby dolls, Dyson vacuums, Minivans then Suv's and a multitude of fly fishing related products that we don't seem to be able to catch a fish without.

ForceFins are a good product at $100 which is about 2X what other fins cost. They are not 2X better. My own homemade Frankenfins are lighter, more powerful, go on and come off easier and have dual durometer for both power and softness. If these fins were available commercially at around $75 they would put a serious dent in FF's bloated profit picture. I'm not knocking them per se, just saying that like Toyota they have been remiss in product development and continue to hawk their wares without making an effort to produce a seriously excellent product.

Ive

4. I started off with the cheap $30 Creek Company Lightweight fins which are basically a flat piece of ABS with some foot straps. They work ok but I wanted something to give me better speed kicking across a large lake. I read the reviews & bought a pair of the adjustable Force Fins. I didn't think they performed that much better than the cheap Creek Co. fins so i sold them a couple of months ago & bought a pair of the Flip Fins. Like the poster above said, Flip Fins is out of business but I found a pair on Ebay for about$115 in like new condition. I used them last week. The longer fin does work different than the Force Fins. I haven't quite figured out how to get them to click into place without using my hands & I haven't decided if I like them either. I'm taking them for another run tomorrow. If I'm still not convinced, i may check out the scuba fins. I guess to each his own but I think the market has room for improvement

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

I have both, FF and Omega's. If you have a smaller foot, the Force fins are great. Bigger foot, not as much blade showing. They are like spoons and great when you need to really dig down. The Scuba fins are longer and softer rubber. It took me a awhile to get use to them after using the FF for several years.
    Scuba require a lot less movement than the FF. I was trying to kick the same as I did in my FF and it was killing my legs.
    So I relaxed and was barely moving my feet, but I was moving pretty good. I also found you can lean back and flutter your feet like a swimmer and you will be moving on the up AND the down stroke.
    Plus, being longer they work very nice on Pontoons where you are sitting more out of the water.
    I won't sell my FF, but I only take them for back ups.

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Yup!

7. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I was a scuba diver first, so using scuba fins in a float tube and then a pontoon seemed the simple (and cheap) way to go. Often in my 9' Bucs Bronco, I will only use fins for a day of fishing on a lake. When the water is cold, I wear my lightweight stocking-foot waders and put the fins on over the neoprene feet; when warmer, I wear shorts and neoprene wading boots. I do have a pair of caddis fins which I use when I'm pontooning rivers and wearing wading boots. The scuba fins that I have will not go over the wading boots but the caddis fins will. The fins allow me to fish on the move by keeping my orientation and positioning appropriate for casting.

Steve

8. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I have not tried the force fins, but have been float tubing for over 30 years (can you say insul-dry). I started out with some "swim fins" which were fairly flexible and would fit over my seal dri waders. I have also had scuba fins and the terrible black caddis fins. My best solution has been a pair of the swim type fins (the ones that slip over your whole foot, made in many styles) cut the front and install grommets and laces. The ones I have give me plenty of speed and are comfortable for a whole day.

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Ive, can you post a pic or describe your Frankenfins again or PM? I can't believe some Chinese company hasn't produced an inexpensive copy of FF's.

10. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

11. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I'm in the Force Fin camp, but probably mostly because I fin rivers more than stillwater and the shorter FF's work better on the river. Also, the turned up fin makes it easier and more stable to stand up in the river and fish good looking water without getting out of the pontoon and wading. I use mine over wading boots in moving water and over scuba boots in still water. I have some fins for scuba diving and will give them a try next time. Rick

12. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I also use Force fins . . .but I bought mine for $75 almost 10 years ago. They are the adjustable type and fit over my size 13 lightweight boots just fine. The straps and buckles are still in great shape after many days on the water. If I were in need of new fins, I'd be investigating the scuba fin option . . .but the Force fins do the job.

Another consideration is that I usually fish out of a Watermaster and use oars when I want to move more than 50 yards. My fins are for holding position and moving short distances. . . I don't troll much so I'm usually rowing into an area I want to fish then either anchoring up or casting/stripping. I occasionally fish out of smaller inflatables that require 100% foot power and am always a little dismayed at how slow and inefficient those boats feel (even with FF) in comparison to my Watermaster with oars.

jordan101 and triploidjunkie like this.
  13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I quite using fins about four of five years ago in my pontoon. Like troutpocket, I almost never troll. I just anchor up in spots I like and cast. I don't think I even have a pair of fins anymore.

14. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Agreed the choice was much simpler when I bought mine for $104. Soon after I heard rumors that the price was going way up . Then my neighbor tipped me off that someone on craigs had an unused pair in my size for $60 (I grabbed 'em for a backup). 8 years later and the first ones are still going strong, used 100 or so times a year. Maybe something else works better but I can't think of anything to complain about with force fins. I suspect when the design was developed it got the user "95% there" and I'd be hard pressed to believe technology in a fin could make me significantly faster or more efficient. A lot of R&D for a lot of diminishing returns would seem more the case but I'm not claiming that as fact, just a hunch.

That said, at $200 I'd probably have the same angst as others seem to be having. Then again, if I could sell fins for that much I'd do it too...good for them.

15. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Not an option for me. If I had a better boat, maybe. I tried it once...bad idea. If a bird farts in my general direction, my toon spins 90 degrees. I need fins to keep it from spinning, and the line from going under my legs/toon/etc. Needless to say, I don't like my boat very much.

I bought it new 15 yrs ago. It's a 7ft, and only has 3 ft or so of the toon on the surface of the water. It's primarily for rivers, rated at class 3 rapids. I thought that was really, really cool. Until I realized, if I'm in class 3 rapids...I'm not fishing.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a more stable boat, and do exactly what you do. Until then, I wave frantically at birds larger than a sparrow flying towards me. :p

GAT and triploidjunkie like this.
  16. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

FWIW I have some non-adjustable Force Fins from the early 90s I wore over Orvis neo wading booties to give some protection to my waders. Occasionally I got painful cramps in the instep of my feet because the bootie soles are too flexible so I bought some SeaSoft Stealth dive boots that have very supportive soles. Unfortunately even the XXL SeaSoft boots aren't sized to fit comfortably over guide weight neoprene waders I use in the fall, winter, and early spring. So I've been using Outcast wading boot fins for stillwater and studded Water Master boot fins for rivers. They don't propel me as well as the Force Fins, and if I find a good fit for neoprene boots over waders I'll go back to Force Fins for stillwater.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

17. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Harvey's produced exactly what you're talking about, and with good supportive soles. Mine are more than roomy enough to go over neoprene wader feet. Around here they only sold them through Kmann (as far as I know) and I haven't seen them anywhere since they went out of biz. Harvey's has offered in the past to make me a pair if I ever couldn't find them...if you ever get serious about owning some, give them a yell. Kaufmann used to sell them for 50ish bucks.

18. Blue

Blue Active Member

Simms has an awesome Flats boot. Hubby had a problem finding a boot small enough profile for his Omegas, These filled the bill
    http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/footwear/zipit-bootie-ii.html

19. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

Same pair of Force Fins for literally decades with zero problems.

Randy

20. Blue

Blue Active Member

Nice thing about the adjustable FF is the neoprene upper and heel. I have had so many fins wear out wading boots or even flipper shoes.
    The Omega's are great for that too, but they are unavailable so senseless to push for them/:(