First Bass On The New Skiff

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by LCnSac, Apr 7, 2012.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Not a bad way to break in the new to me skiff. Had a pretty good day on Folsom Lake today, after finding some barely submerged boulders helping to warm the water from the lake average of 58 to 62.5F and that seemed to be the key as usual with bass. Four Spots and one LMB to hand, all 3 lbs or better, and all "with fry." I think this is my best Spot ever.

[​IMG]

2. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Whoa...that's a beastly beauty. Good one.

3. Kenneth Yong

Kenneth Yong Member

Media:
    Nice!! There're loads of transplanted bass in the lakes around Rome, but they're tiddlers compared to yours.

Congratulations on the skiff,
    Kenneth

4. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nice! I'm diggin' those spotty/stripe LM markings!

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    LC, what's your largemouth set up look like?

6. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    We had to go to plastics to get anything to stick. I got bit on a Zonker twice, my friend had one or two on a chenille worm he tied up but the strikes were tentative and never able to hook them. We go through this routine every year, early season. We need to see about 70 deg WT before we can stick any numbers or size with flies. So, we cheat early on.

One thing worth mentioning--we were fishing a day off a full moon, never checked, but for bass fishing I generally take the moon phases seriously. Another aspect is the "prime fishing time" each day, also based on the moon. We put in almost six hours yesterday for five fish to hand, and they were all caught about the same time and exactly in the "prime" period. I know the moon phase matters for bass in lakes and of course for all bass in tidal waters, and maybe the two hot periods each day do too. I have not tracked those previously, has anyone and found a consistent pattern?

7. Patrick Gould

Media:
    It is a good idea to have conventional gear on hand when largemouth fishing. There are times and places where the fly rod just doesn't make sense. I've been out on the local ponds, with my new 8wt, but at this point it's pretty much all casting practice since it's only 50 degrees WT.

8. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I don't like using conventional gear anywhere except for Salmon, and I really don't like Salmon fishing much, but sometimes with bass it's the only thing that works. Before the plastics and after 3-4 hours pitching flies for nothing, I was slow rolling a spinner bait, because we knew they strikes would be reaction strikes, not feeding. Nothing. Worms slowly bumped along the rock were the only things that worked for us.

At 50 deg in stillwater I wouldn't even put on a fly. I'd drop shot a worm or use a jig and call any action a real bonus. Good for you for getting out there Patrick.

9. Patrick Gould

Media:
    Are you pitching flies like the bass guys pitch lures, where you're tossing the lure with the non rod hand?

10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    LOL, no Pat. I'll leave that to the B.A.S.S. guys. There are some that pitch the tules in the Delta but flies seem to work there practically year around.

11. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Niiiiiice!