First bird

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by E'burg fisher, Sep 23, 2007.

1. E'burg fisher

E'burg fisher Member

Took my GSP pup out today. He's 8 months old and we've been out a few times for grouse and dove. We were working up the creek in Robinson Canyon outside of Ellensburg. Brutus, my pup, got on one bird early on. It's still very thick and the leaves are still on the trees. I didn't even see the bird flush. As we continued on we had a bird flush just beside us. As Brutus went in to investigate another bird flushed.

It cleared the trees and I was able to get a quick going away shot. Saw some leaves fall but wasn't sure if I got the bird. Then I heard it's last flutters and I got Brutus into the area. He crossed a small creek and found the bird. Pointed for a short time and then pounced. Brought it back across the creek to me. He didn't want to give it up but he made a great retrieve on a young ruffed grouse. He put up one more bird later in the hunt.

Seems like everything clicked for him with that one bird. He was really working the heavy cover and was so keyed up he was pointing every tweety bird he saw. The birds were not holding very well, probably due to all the coyotes in the area. Can't wait for quail and chukar to open!

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Congrats on your pup's success- once they get it, they got it!

3. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Great work...I'm in the same boat with regard to hunting dogs...my lab Libby and I hit another area yesterday with the wife and kid...more or less a scouting day (no gun, just a walk in the woods). Needless to say Libby flushed a grouse along a steep section of old logging road...bird flew down hill into 'heavy' cover...looked like a ruff. Nose is working...just need to get one up in light cover and have a gun in hand....