First built rod 3 wt...

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by yuhina, Aug 28, 2006.

1. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    I built this rod for a high mountain creek. a 3 wt 6 feet blank from G loomis.
    very soft and just suitable for tiny mountain creek. Most of the time I barely had the fly line out, casting the leader is the most common situation...
    attached a picture and a cutthroat from Teton National park.
  2. Calvin1 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Looks like you probably tied the Elk Hair Caddis that the fish was caught on as well. Nothing like catching a fish on a rod that you built with a fly that you tied!

Strong work

P.S.

How do you like the grip of that handle?
  3. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Thanks,

Indeed, not thing could be better than doing these things by myself and actually get "the prove" from fish. : )
    I learned how to turn the cork from this website, and got the grip "personalized". They did fit my hand well and make this little rod looks prettier. Because of the light weight and short length, besically, I have my rig set up ,all the way along a cascade canyon, working along a mountain creek. I even caught several cuttie with my big backpack on:D The sigle sliding band were actually bought from Wayne from this website... I used the single foot snake guides for this 6' 3wt. They shoot line pretty well.

Attached seveal more pictures for your reference.
    Sincerely,

Mark
  4. OhioOutdoorsman New Member

Akron, OH
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Very nice rod and fish.

What reel is that?

Those are INCREDIBLE pictures. Look like something out of a fly fishing magazine. You obviously have some photography experience. What camera are you using?
  5. OhioOutdoorsman New Member

Akron, OH
    BTW, will be heading to yellowstone/teton for the first time in three weeks.
  6. dpenrod Member

kansas city, mo.
    neat rod, beautiful fish. what reel is that?
  7. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Thanks for the comments, the reel is Loop FW 4-6. The drag is very smooth. I mainly use it for striper fishing. For this tiny 3wt, this reel is more decoration than practical : P... but, indeed, the large arbor did pick up line faster ...
    My camera is Canon DSLR rebel. They work pretty well for close-up photos.

For Ohioman, I just fished the Teton in August. The cutthroat and white fish there was pretty willing to take dry flies. I mainly use hooper -dropper setting for small creeks. Had a very good fishing experience... I also fished the Slough creek and Gibbon river last year of this time, they were gorgeous spots. The fish there was awesome, especially in the evening hatch... I recommand you just stopby the local flyshops and ask for some information, you definitely will have nice trip! : )