First cuttie on Sunday 2/26

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jason Rolfe, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Hit Carkeek park on Sunday at around 8:30 a.m. for my fourth attempt at catching some src's. I had hit up Patrick's fly shop on Friday for some Miyawaki poppers and advice, and on Sunday, with V wakes on the water, it happened just like Jimmy at Patrick's and Les Johnson in his book said it would.
    I was stripping my popper in at a medium pace for a while, working my way north along the shoreline from the creek. At about 9 I saw one jump so I moved in that direction.
    Once again, casted it out, started stripping and I saw a nice surge of water right behind it. I started stripping faster and it only took one more try for Mr. Cutthroat. He hit it hard and set the hook himself. For the first five seconds or so I was waiting for the hook to be thrown, because that has been happening to me a lot. But I kept it on and had a quick little tussle involving some charges at my feet and a little surface thrashing.
    Got it to hand, and it was a fat little guy, deep blue, about 13 or 14 inches. Beautiful fish, my first cutthroat, and my first fish to hand in a long time. Felt really good.
    I had another follow on the popper a little while later, and then had to leave. But for an hour and a half of fishing, I was very pleased. Sorry if this is a little long, but damn it I'm just excited to have caught a cuttie. It was fun.
    I did it--I finally posted a useful report.
    Cheers :D
    Jason

2. tightlines

tightlines New Member

Media:
    Great job Justin--can't find a better back drop than the Olympics fishing on the beach with a cutty on the line. More fish will follow...

3. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    They say steelheading is addictive, and I believe them, but nothing is a proportionately harder fighter than a cutthroat in the saltwater.

4. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    Congratulations! :D

5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Yeah,
    That thing was so much fun to bring in. And then I got to show it to a little girl and her mom on the beach. Very, very cool.
    Jason

6. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Jason:

Way to go! Am sure that you will be out there many more times now that you have gotten a taste of the "special" sea-run cutthroat fisheries on Puget Sound.

Roger

7. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    SRC's are so cool, they occupy about 1/3 of my fishing thoughts. So when I'm not thinking about food, there's a 33% chance I'm thinking about fly fishing the Sound.

8. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I think for me, over the past couple days, Searun's have been occupying about 2/3 of my fishing thoughts. Maybe more.

9. Riane

Riane Mouse doctor

Media:
    Nice work! Always feels great to get the skunk off. Caught 7 or 8 of these guys in the rivers this fall, great fun. I plan on hitting the salt more now that most steelhead waters are closing- maybe I'll see you there.

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Jason,
    Congrats on your fish. Just a quick question. You mentioned this was the first searun cutt you've caught. Based on your description of the fishes color being a deep blue, could it have been a resident silver rather then a cutt?
    I live just above the park and have caught both species there during February.
    Either way, good job on your first popper caught fish.
    Brian

11. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

It wasn't necessarily a deep blue. Just a rich blue. It was very close to the description that Les Johnson gives in his book for a Searun--blue back with silver or white below, and spots that are much less prominent and light(but still there). So I was pretty sure it was cutthroat. Could have been wrong, though. Either way, it was nice.
    Cheers,
    Jason