First fishing trip of 2014

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Shawn West, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    I had planned on heading over to the Gorge on Saturday, but the wind had other plans. Fortunately for me, the wind gods decided to cut me a break on Sunday. I was on the water around 10:15. The water temperature was 54 degrees, and there was a slight chop. I decided to tie a Polar Fibre Clouser to my type 6 sinking line.

I was working the Clouser very slow. I was casting the fly towards the shore and fishing it towards deeper water. It was not long before my line felt heavy. At first I thought my fly was wedging itself in between two boulders. I set the hook and was rewarded with a fat 13" smallmouth bass. I cast flies for about another 90 minutes before I got my next, and last, bite. This fish was slightly larger than the first. It weighed 2 pounds.

The wind started to pick up. I decided to call it a day. After seven months of no fishing, I considered this a very good day. I can only hope I get to spend a lot more time on the water in 2014. A couple of the new flies I tied in the off season show some promise. More on that subject after I get some feedback from the fish.

[​IMG]
    First bass of 2014.

Regards

Shawn

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

nice fish Shawn with water temps in the 50's start looking for big females in the backwaters..

3. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    Rob...we should try to hit the Gorge together one of these days. I have always regretted not going on any of your outings when we were members of CSF. I usually get my largest smallies in early spring. It should not be too long before they turn on.

Regards

Shawn

4. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Active Member

Good start to the season Shawn.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Nice work. I really wish I was more familiar with the small amount of bass fishing in my area. I could see myself having fun with them.