First Float, In Search of Summer Steel

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jonathan Tachell, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

My dad and I decided to take our pontoons out and float a western washington river for summer runs. This was my first time behind the oars floating a river and it was good to get some time behind the sticks. I am definitely excited for this upcoming winter steelhead season.

I recently picked up a spey set up from the guys at the Gig Harbor Fly Shop and they hooked it up with an awesome line and made me up some tips that cast great. I ended up getting a Sage ONE 12'6" 7wt combined with a Nautilus NV Spey reel and I have to say I love it. To say that I am a novice spey caster would be an under statement but by the end of the day I was throwing about 90ft of line and felt like I was getting better as the day went on.

Anyway it was a nice float and day on the water. fishing was tough partly due to clear water and bright sun but we managed a few searun cutts and my dad hooked and lost one chrome summer run of about 6lbs.

I am really excited to log some time on the water and ready to learn a lot about the steelhead game. If anyone out there would like to get together and do some fishing hit me up.
    chasing summer runs 005.JPG chasing summer runs 001.JPG chasing summer runs 002.JPG

2. glad to hear you didn't have any problems running the river for your first time.

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

great report and pictures. time on the water fishing with your Dad is time well spent!