First fly rod fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Copas, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Jason Copas Member

Ratings: +13 / 0
    I caught my first fish on a fly rod today. Stopped at the Mckenna Park on the way home to try my luck. Missed the first few hits, but got it on the 3rd or 4th one. Little rainbow maybe? Didn't really stop to inspect it to much. It was just about 6-8 inches on a western coachman.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  2. Ryan Couch New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Congrats on your first fish on a fly. Now the addiction starts.
  3. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0
    Good job. Next is to catch one on a fly you tied.
  4. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    And now you are hooked! Congrats!
  5. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    Nice work. I remember my first. Little cutt on an X caddis. I think I was as surprised as the fish.
  6. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,262 / 0
    I believe my first was on a coatchman also, twenty years ago almost exactly. I wonder why I never use or tie those flies anymore? I haven't put a coatchman on in a decade or better.
  7. shadowcast Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    Sounds like my first fish. I was running a #18 BWO with zero nymphing experience, just dry. Suddenly, a pause. "Ahh $hit another snag." So after what seemed like an eternity, I start ripping, reeling and cursing in anger, when I finally notice my line migrating all over the river LOL. 14" brown that felt like a boulder.
  8. flyfool Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    Congratulations. You are now my Official Personal Hero. Tell me more about this magic lake. Tell me more about this beautiful fish. Does she have a sister? My lakes have no fish in them. Neither does Puget
    Sound. I weep with joy at your accomplishment. Don't be to impressed with that; I just returned from my usual lake and was weeping anyway.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    You're doomed.
  10. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    My first fish on a fly rod was a bass. I was already a bass fisherman. And the fish was small(ish). So the fish itself was not that exciting. But the method of presentation and the reasons it worked were immediately clear to me. I was hooked then. But my first TROUT on the fly rod was definitely the clincher.

I went to work searching for trout. Bass were plentiful in reservoirs where I lived, in the city, trout were a fish that USE TO live in the creeks and streams. But trout were ideally suited to my new fishing style! I found them alright. In overlooked creeks and riparian areas on watersheds. More than I would have thought and my life has never been the same.

There's just something about being able to step into the water, turn over a couple of rocks to look at the bugs, choose the right fly and then read that water for where a fish would want to be. Then you cast. And it works!!! And suddenly your ONE with the whole thing. It hardly matters that the fish was only eight inches long. The size of that fish was only one small part of the whole story that unfolded. And it's so pretty that you wonder how anyone could judge a fish by it's size. So you let it go. And return to catch it again as soon as you can.
    flyfool likes this.
  11. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +360 / 0
    My first was 22" inch rainbow on the San Juan river. Few fish since have rivaled that one. But it was a good kick start to the obsession. Congrats, Buddy, welcome to a lifetime of fun, learning, frustration, and triumph!
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    I can't remember my first fly rod fish. I've been doing the thing called fly fishing off and on for over 50 years. But I remember when I bought my first fly rod. It was at a White Front store in Seattle. Boy, that was one hell of a long time ago.
  13. Jason Copas Member

Ratings: +13 / 0
    Thanks for the positive reinforcement everyone, think I will need to invest in waders though. Kept running into trouble with the high grass along the bank. Anyone used the Cabela's breathable waders? They look to be on sale right now and the only money I have are Cabela's points :eek:
  14. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Jason, Cabela's waders will work just fine...!! Congrats! Just remember, there is no "destination" with fly fishing... just a long, long, but usually enjoyable, journey!
  15. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Jason, I have Cabela's packable waders and they are just fine. I have been using them less than one season but have had no issues.
  16. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Clearly you've set up your contingencies with the right prioritization in mind ;)
  17. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    My first one was when I was I dunno, 8 years old? ... on the Cedar River in front of my Dad's work buddy's property... was fishing a royal coachman and it was drowned. I was wearing homemade waders that had been constructed from garbage bags - they both worked at Cello Bag in Tukwila. Actually got to talk to good ol' Chuck Blankenship as I waded by his property on opening day the first day the Cedar opened up in over a decade some years ago. Man it was fishin' good back then... now not so much.

I ramble.

I must echo the above: you, sir, are indeed DOOMED (but in a very good way).
    flyfool likes this.
  18. Jslo Active Member

Ratings: +80 / 0
    Congrats!!!! It's an amazing, beautiful, sport. Relaxing most of the time- appropriately frustrating at others, but in the end always worthwhile.
    Gary Knowels and The Duke like this.
  19. Cuttbow82 Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Congrats! Get ready for the obsession now!

My 13 year old son caught his first rainbow on a fly rod last weekend. It was a 5 incher on the middle fork snoqualmie. He got it using a size 14 stimulator that I tied. Next step is to teach him to tie his own.
  20. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    so

Ccongrstes cuu