First fly you caught a fish on???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    royal coachman .. on the NF Snoqualmie with my two sons in tow.

2. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

It's a little cliché, but it was a size 12 black woolley bugger. My math teacher brought his drift boat to work and asked my mom if he could take me out on Pine Lake for the afternoon. He rowed his ass off while I trolled that bugger from my brand new Orvis Clearwater fly rod. I haven't looked back since.

3. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    A blue Dry fly bought in a variety pack from K-Mart. Back when they came in those Round plastic containers with a triangular shaped opening.

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Dang! I can't remember! I still have some of the first wet flies that I tied back in 65 (a year before our family moved to Oahu and I took a 35 year hiatus from fly fishing), and I will occasionally pull one out and fish it for Coastal Cutts. The pattern still works just fine! Maybe it was one of those. (Or else a dry Royal Coachman, that I bought).
    Most of the ones I tied back then were a generic wet cutthroat pattern, with red and yellow floss bodies, deer hair wing, and palmered grizzly. I think i was trying to copy some established cutthroat pattern I had seen.

My tying tools were cheap, primitive, and basic. I didn't even have a bobbin. I just held the thread between my finger tips and let the spool spin inside a coffee can. I'm pretty certain that I obtained the thread from my Mom's sewing kit. I had the cheapest stamped vice available at the time. I used 3 half-hitches to finish up my large, sloppy thread heads.

I didn't fly fish nor tie any flies between 1966 and 2002, though.

I've still got a Muddler Minnow that I picked up at Dan Baileys when we drove thru Livingston on our last trip to visit relatives in N Dakota, back in the summer of '65. Its still in its original plastic box, and has never been fished. I think its now the oldest fly I have, except maybe for the cutthroat flies I mentioned. I tied those around the same time.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Olive bugger on a burned out Lahontan Cutt out of Lenore in 1983.

6. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    It was a steelhead.......on a bead.

;)

7. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    A 15" Resident Coho from the beach on a huge 4" pink over white Clouser.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

A braided butt damsel that sank while I was trying to fix a rat's nest in my reel. The beginning of the trend of getting around half of my strikes while not actually focusing on fishing that continues to this day...

Ron McNeal and Travis Bille like this.
  9. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

A 1/2 lb brownie on a Peter Ross in the Highlands of Scotalnd. Never caught another decent fish on that fly...Beginners luck or something like that, though some folks there would swear by it. Amen to MM above, it's always when I look away or lose focus that something happens.

Dave

10. JayH

JayH Member

#16 tan soft hackle on the little red river in Arkansas. Caught about 20 rainbows that day between 10 and 16 inches and have been hooked (pun intended) ever since!

11. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    On a fly that came with a $30 combo kit (that's rod, reel, line, leader and flies included). That was late 80s, but that was still pretty cheap even then.

The fly was so cheap and ugly that I'd be surprised if it even had a name, but it looked a little like a bee, with ugly plastic wings. I caught maybe 3 small fish with it and it was completely destroyed. I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I still remember that ugly little piece of shit fly I fed to those 8 inch Dollies 25 years ago.

Funny the things that stick with you.

Ron McNeal and Phil Fravel like this.
  12. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Size 12 Royal Wulff, and caught a 10" rainbow at Bear Lake in the Snoqualmie Lakes chain.
    First steelhead was on a size 1/0 red/orange Marabou Spey, on the Sauk, March 1989.

Actually, now that I search my brain even further back, my grandfather used to tie the old-fashioned wooly worms with scrap yarn from my grandma's knitting basket, palmered with odd hackles and sometimes had red butts or tails from his dog's hair...when we were kids, he'd set us up with a spinning rod, a floating clear bubble, about a 4' leader and one of those wooly worms, and we'd fish a pond near his place for rainbows and sunfish....those were some ugly flies, but they caught alot of fish.:)

13. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

My first fish on a fly, a mcgintey on the S.F. of the Stilly near red bridge with my dad and my brother. What a trip, so excited I think all I did was run up the beach with it as it shipped along the surface. Darn that was like just over 40 years ago.

It was a perfect day!

and that's all I have to say about that!

William

14. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

My first fish on a fly was a 12" rainbow caught on a black ugly bug, on a small stream near Mt. hood. About the size of the cedar river.

15. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I only started about 6 months ago and could probably tell name the fly used to catch every fish I've caught. First one, however, was a 6-7" cutt on the Main Stem Stilly with a size 10 Black Wooly Bugger bought from Ed's Surplus.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  16. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Royal Coachman when I was about 12, on a two-week canoe trip with the Boy Scouts in Bowron Lake Provincial Park in BC. Millions of Kokanee were rising where a small stream dumped into the lake. Well, maybe not a million, but a lot. I remember it vividly. Well, maybe not vividly but it left an indelible impression on me.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  17. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Can't remember. It was a long time ago, before the sixties which basically erased my memory, I think.

Itchy Dog likes this.
  18. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    A 12" purple/green mackerel pattern tied on a 10/0 hook. I was very young, but strong for my age. Getting the invite to fish with John Wayne on the Pilar on the East Cape of Baja was a real boost to the ego of a 4 year old. Lee Wulff coached me through it....he had tied the monstrous fly. Wayne only wanted to troll, but Lee Marvin punched him in the mouth. "Let the lad have a shot with the fly rod, Duke. Don't be a jerk!" he barked. I loved Lee like the father I never knew. With 20 seconds of instruction under my belt, I perfected a tight double haul with the 14 wt rod he threw at me. Wulff had taken all the hooks off Rooster Cogburn's trolling lures. Unbeknownst to the Duke, he was teasing in a striped marlin on hookless lures. Everything fell into place. Marvin was slugging down gin like ice water as the behemoth crashed the teasers. "Cast! Mingo! Cast NOW!" screamed Wulff. With all the might my 4-year-old deltoids could muster, I somehow double-H'd the giant fly into the drink. As if on cue, the blue-eyed marlin sucked the entire fly into its gaping maw and took off for the Galapagos Islands.

As John Wayne and Lee Marvin pummeled each other mercilessly, I took the battle to the fish. First, I told Wulff to calm down and take a chill pill. Next, I

Stew McLeod, McNasty and Brian Thomas like this.
  19. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I have not idea about the first fly. Some type of nymph, I wasn't sophisticated enough to recognize
    it. Second fish was a twitched Oct Caddis dry. I'll never forget that one. My third-30th fish were on the Purple Haze.

20. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Carey's special on lake Minnie in B.C. damn near 50 yrs ago. I can't believe I can remember that, since most of the time I can't remember where I put my glasses, phone, keys......