First fly you caught a fish on???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 18, 2013.

1. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +674 / 0
    Yellow Sallie. Matched that bitch perfectly.
  2. olypenjeeper Active Member

Astoria Oregon
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Prince nymph on the Elwha, he was a little guy too... a real dink. I was thrilled though. I think back to those days and I was just so clueless. Great memories.
  3. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +483 / 0
    Thompson Creek, an upper Big Hole river trib loaded with Beaver dams & Brookies. Sometime 'long about the mid-fifties & it had to have been on either a Sandy Mite or Lady Mite (old Potts fly patterns), since those were Dad's favorite patterns up there.
  4. snarlac Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    #4 Black Rubberlegs, Pit 4 (Pit River, California)
    Travis Bille likes this.
  5. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +618 / 0
    Not a clue. But probably looked like laundry lint caught in barbed wire.

First steelhead on a #4 Solduc Spey, upper river, October, Zipperhumkumchuklips river.
    Stew McLeod likes this.
  6. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    It seems most of us still remember are first fly.lol
  7. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    Old school Muddler
    just Brown good ol brown did not even know the size
  8. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    I just want to thank everyone who could remember.lol Seems you can forget or some of us can. I just remember my hole trip of it. I was 11-12 and went to stay in idaho, my uncle helped supply steel for the dams they where building on the snake and we went camping buy one of them. I was fishing with a worm and didn't catch nothing I seen this other guy pulling them in every few min so my grand pa did what any fisher man did back then sent me down to find out what he was using,lol I came back and told my grand pa and he looked at me kind of funny.lol But the guy had offered to show me how so I went he wasn't fly fishing but using a fly behind a clear bubble. Well I went home thinking I had learned to fly fish. So I told the guy across my from my grandpa and he looked at me and kind of chuckled and said let me teach you the right way to fly fish, and it started. He showed me the 10-2 stuff and then I went and got a rod combo kit the cheap kind, he tied his own flies and gave more then enough. which now that I am older I know what it means to give up your flies, I tried a couple times with no luck then one day on some little river in idaho, I landed that one. I was so happy. I keep with fly fishing for the next3-4 years then chasing girls and playing sports took over for a while but I'm back and I will never leaver her again for more than a couple months and I don't know if I can stay away that long to tell you the truth!!!!
  9. SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Carey Special fishing lakes with my father.
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  10. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +289 / 1
    Elk Hair Caddis, size 14, green. Still my favorite fly whenever I chase trout but now I use a size 16.
    flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  11. Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

Kent WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    For those of us who have read Mingo's posts on tropical saltwater fly fishing, this is huge insight ... I think it might take a coupla shrinks to fully understand all of it ... nevertheless, huge insight ...
  12. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    A size 12 wooly worm , which also happened to be the very first fly I ever tied . It was a rainbow of about 12 inches that was caught from a forgotten a creek in Ontario a lifetime ago . The fish was carefully released , which was also a first for me .
  13. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    Size 14 Royal Coachmen, South Fork of the Eel River, California. I was 8 years old and will never forget that day.
  14. bwillroll Member

bellingham, wa, whatcom.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Prince Nymph. North Fork Stilly.
  15. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Its funny how many of the people got there first fish on the same fly!!!lol
  16. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +868 / 1
    The first fly I caught a fish (trout) on was a White Miller.
    We fished worms (is it ok to use the "W" word here?) with spinning gear in streams. We used a size 14 White Miller fly on a dropper as a depth/strike indicator and very often would catch a fish on the fly. Even doubled once in a while.
    Jack Scan 38.jpeg
  17. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    I guess that counts jack I was more meaning fly fishing but you did such a good job with the drawing.;)
  18. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +868 / 1
    There is a bit of a story behind that rig and my early days of trout fishing but you will all have to wait for the book.:D
    Jack
  19. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    I have often said, "if you can remember the sixties, you probably were not with me." I do remember first fish/fly. It was on the Ausable in Michigan. Fly was a light Cahill - size 16. I cast up current and let it drift by a log jam on the far bank - nothing. As it kept going and was nearing where it would drag, I saw a white circle shape appear behind it, and (wait for it) it disappeared. Good thing the 14" brown hooked himself because I was thinking far too much to react!
  20. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    First trout- 22" rainbow on what, in retrospect, was a red zebra midge that was probably size 20. San Juan River, NM. A guide named Deward Yocum took pity on me and showed me the ropes right away. I owe that man, I hope I can meet him again.

First Steelhead- Moldy stanky 24" runback I caugt on a #12 tungsten headed copper john on the Trinity River.