First Nebraska Crappie of the Year

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Theron, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Theron

Theron Active Member

Finally got out to do some Crappie fishing here. Despite the 15 - 20 mph wind I was able to land a dozen of these guys before the bite just stopped. I got most of them on the MIckey-Finn looking fly I tie similar to a Clouser Minnow using small bead chain eyes. It uses bucktail with some flash. I switched to the other fly when a fly eating tree got my first fly. I blamed it on the wind. The other fly uses white and light blue super hair with red flash. I will be moving to Washington May 2 so I need to get my Crappie fix here. crappie.JPG flies.JPG

2. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Plenty of opportunities to chase crappie here in Washington too, no need to hang up the warmwater flies.

Theron likes this.
  3. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

I was surprised to catch a crappie from my local park pond here in Lincolnshire, IL last week. I'd fished that lake all last summer and caught only bluegill and small bass. He was pretty sluggish, but if the snow ever stops here, it should warm up fast. Bluegill are already investigating spots for spawning beds.

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

no worrys, there are plenty of lakes with crappie in washington.

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Now I am wondering if I will be under rodded, with my 2 wt, in pursuit of bluegills?

Should I opt for my 8 wt.? Questions, questions, questions!

6. Theron

Theron Active Member

I almost always use my 3 wt. it is packed right now for the May 5 move to Whidbey Island.

7. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Bugger... a 2wt is a blast for bluegill. Enjoy!!!

Regsrds

Shawn

8. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Not the 8 wt?

9. almostacatch

almostacatch Let it Angle on the Dangle

GO BIG RED!!!!