First Pontoon/Raft...Oar Question

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by cts3767, Feb 17, 2013.

1. cts3767

cts3767 New Member

(Actually, first post here...as well as first pontoon/raft...)

I finally got my Scadden Assault XX into the water this afternoon...it was a awkward for me to row at first (I am a bit over 6'6" tall), but I started to get a bit better after a bit. I was rowing around on the lake behind my house, but my hope/intent is to eventually take this craft on rivers.

FWIW, I am an experienced kayaker, but this was my first time rowing a raft/pontoon...
    A couple of observations and a question:
    • with my long inseams, I am going to have to find a way to lower the footrest/bar, in order to keep the oars from bumping my legs...I have digested a couple of old threads here that reference possibilities for this, and I am confident I can develop a solution.
    • even after making some adjustments in my stroke, it seemed that one of the two oar blades (I have the "litespeed" oars with AquaBound blades) was entering the water at a slightly different angle than the other...one oar blade goes in at a vertical/90-degree angle, and the other goes in at a slightly open angle (the top half of the blade leans back perhaps 6 to 8 degrees). After careful examination, it is not due to using different holes for the spring-loaded retainer in the shaft (there are three possible holes/settings, and both oars are set to the middle hole). I then held up each oar, looking down the shaft with the oarlock hole aligned straight up-and-down. Indeed, one of the two oar blades is slightly "off" (top half of the blade leaning back slightly). I intend to spend more time testing out tomorrow, but it seemed to be affecting my oar strokes, and my ability to row both oars in unison and keep the boat moving in a straight line.
    Question(s): Is this situation (one oar blade in the pair at a slightly different angle) normal, or within "normal" tolerances? Have other folks encountered this before? ​
    Do I simply need to practice rowing this boat more? Or should I ask to exchange for a new pair of oars, with both blades aligned exactly the same?​

Many thanks,
    Chris

2. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. I just purchased an Assault XX. It won't arrive for three weeks. However, I can address your first observation. I am 6' 3", and it was important for me to test fit the rower's seat adjustment for my own long legs. The rowers seat needed to be adjusted back 2" from what it was initially set for the demo. Before the adjustment, my knees were bent upward quite a bit. After, my legs were straight with a slight knee bend, and felt great. Dave said that about 4" of adjustment remained, although I didn't actually check that myself. I wear pants with a 34" inseam. Sounds like you just need to position the seat back.

I am going to let someone else address the issue with your oars, as I elected for the Sawyer Power Strokes. Seems like you might have an issue, if they are supposed to be bi-directional oars. I'm sure someone more familiar with them could answer better.

3. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

This was a suggestion that I received from some one on this forum in order to address a foot bar question I had in the past. CTS, where in the south sound are you located? Have you tried Munn Lake for a quick trip?

Attached Files:

4. cts3767

cts3767 New Member

Thanks for the replies, and the insights on how to adjust the seat and footbar.
    Regarding the oar situation, I may try to take a photo of the two oar blades side-by-side, and post it.

James, I am located a few miles south of Tumwater, on Offut Lake.
    I haven't tried Munn Lake, yet. Thanks for the heads up...I looked it up online, and I must have driven past it many times without realizing it was there.

Chris

5. james.jimenez

I may try Munn Lake tomorrow if your interested? Did you try Offut Lake today? Is this the lake you tried today?

6. cts3767

cts3767 New Member

I was on Offut Lake in the new watercraft late this afternoon...just learning to row the boat, though.

Tomorrow, I plan to continue to practice rowing and maneuvering the new craft (on Offut), as well as making a trip to the store, to get the hardware to rig up my footbar similar to that photo.

I'd be interested in trying Munn Lake soon. Do you get out there fairly often?

Chris

7. james.jimenez

I live close to both Offutt and Munn Lake. I own a Challenger XXX from the Scadden line up. I go to Munn Lake or Lake more than Offutt because its smaller and the wind is a little less, I feel, compared to Offutt. I also need to make a trip that way to see the water levels of the Little Deschutes. Munn lake right now is more a row out and sit there using a thingamobobber with a chironomid about a foot off the bottom.

8. james.jimenez

How long are the oars you received with your pontoon?

9. cts3767

cts3767 New Member

I just measured them, at 77 inches, including the blades.
    - Chris

10. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Sounds like the one oar needs replaced. As for leg room, carabiners & a section of chain are your friends, as suggested . . . worked well with my Renegade.