First redneck bonefish, kinda by accident

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Eric B, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Top in my class Member

washington, Spanaway
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    [IMG]

You were right... I tried it and I love it! I will never fish for Cold Water Fish again! He nearly spooled me!
  2. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    redneck bonefish

1. Carp compete with other species for food.....duhhh....last time I checked white man also competed with "other species" for food.
    2. Carp destroy the riparian habitat....(nowhere near the scale achieved by white man)...Carp often are planted in golf courses and other still waters to keep the weeds (riparian habitat) under control.
    3. Carp eat the eggs of other fish........And what highly prized species is it that is commonly targeted using their own roe for bait???? SALMON!
    4. Carp are notorious for consuming the fry of other fish........But it's O.K. if you are a brown trout, or a big mouth bass., cause we have plugs and flies that imitate the small fish they eat. Yeah,,,, right. :beathead:
    I don't get it. Why is it somehow like a calling by a higher power to spend bou cou bucks and travel to far off destinations to fish for planted trout that are measured in inches (hardly ever exceeding 20). But it's a sin to catch & release a wild fish that is measured in pounds?
    Chuck S likes this.
  3. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    A great carp fly that is simple to tie and I feel under-used is a cotton seed imitation. I usually tie it with brown thread to represent the seed part itself, with a small tuft of white/beige wool to imitate the cotton. That fly, or a simple tom thumb can be great to raise carp and get some surface action.
    Chuck S likes this.
  4. dflett68 Active Member

snohomish
    Ratings: +189 / 0
    This is the most entertaining thread I have yet read here. Hilarious. I have to admit two things: First, I have always thought they were hideous and disgusting, my own opinion. Second, anytime I've ever been fishing and I see a huge carp, I try to catch it. I am a fouled up stinky ball of internal contradiction. Maybe I would make a good carp bait?

Seriously, the thing that seems like a concern as time goes by and human impacts increase, is this: The carp, in evolutionary terms is about a million times more adaptable and robust than our beloved but quite fragile salmonids. The latter require relatively pristine water and a quite narrow range of temps (cold ones) to thrive. As the world warms up and the water keeps getting more polluted, the odds of carp being the last ones standing go up, especially since they do (like every other thing in their ecosystem) compete with other sportfish for food and habitat. The answer may be killing carp in some areas, but the biggest issue is taking care of the environment so it remains a viable habitat for trout, salmon, and char.
  5. rainshadow1 Member

elma washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I personally have nothing against carp they are fun on a six weight. They also like brown wooly buggers for anyone that is interested. my biggest is only about 2-3 pounds though on the chehalis.
  6. Stu Thompson New Member

Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    It is really interesting to read this thread. I have been Carp fishing since I was 20, so that's 36 years worth and have found them to be just as much of a challebge as trout. In fact every fish I go for is a challenge, from Pike to walleye and trout to Carp or even better yet Channel Cat. Each species has it's own set of rules and if you can figure them out the better angler you become. To let you know Carp we first introduced as a food item for all the migrant rail workers who came from the far east to build the railroads. The Carp were kept in ponds but during the spring time floods they managed to escape and creep into just about every water system in North America. As for the taste not as good as walleye or salmon but if prepared right they are pretty good. Just a sample of the fishing I do.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So Top if you have any question about Carp fishing I would be happy to answer them for you, no pun intended or making fun but you have to experience a 40 lb fish on 8 lb tippet.
    Paul Huffman, Chuck S and wlai like this.
  7. bombtek79 Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Holy Crap Stu those are some awesome fish! Just don't let the phot police see any of those pictures with the carp on the rocks. Oh wait, they don't care about carp! This was by far the most entertaining thread that I have read in a long time. It just reaffirmed the fact that Washington fly fishers by and large are liberal PETA loving individuals. There are a few exceptions of course.
  8. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Hey Stu! Was wondering where you were this whole time- welcome to the board! I actually thought you'd be on here more so than on warmfly.
    Did you get that monster carp on a DDH?
    Let's go hit up Hawai'i Kai with ET soon!
  9. Stu Thompson New Member

Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Yep all fish except the trout were caught on a brown DDH. One honey of a fly.
  10. suckegg Active Member

Ellensburg, WA,
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Channel Cats are a gas on the fly! Trashfisher and I got into them good last year on the Columbia and it was darn exciting.
    Chuck S likes this.
  11. wlai Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Anyone who thinks carp fishing is simple or crude have obviously never looked into the super high tech gears and rigs that British uses for the "lowly" carp. Just check out this video and it will blow your mind how much dedicated hardware and thoughts they are spending on carp fishing

Remember, these are the same Brits that developed much of what we know and use in Fly Fishing today. Knock them at your own peril.

p.s. Oh, Top of Class, you were right, Cabela's doesn't have *anything* for Carp fishing :)
    Chuck S likes this.
  12. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    This is the best thread I've ever seen.

Carp are cool.
    Chuck S likes this.
  13. brookies4life Member

mcpherson ave Richland washington
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    never have I caught a fish that had as much strength for it's size. I hooked a monster with a small panfish rod once, and had to pop the hook out because he wasn't stopping. he would run about 20 feet, and I would stop him and think maybe I could get him in, and he would run another 20 feet. about 5 seconds later, my dad lost his lamiglas because another carp pulled it, and a chair in the water. my dad caught a 20 pounder while walleye fishing, and had to fight it for 15 minutes. my dad is from russia(don't hate) and over there, carp were,and still are, a prized fish for eating. I would LOVE to catch one with my fly rod, but as stated above, they are picky.
    Chuck S likes this.
  14. Top in my class Member

washington, Spanaway
    Ratings: +23 / 0

0:50 and 3:24 says and shows it all. Make sure you watch it all so you can really see how he tricks the carp into eating his "fly", at about 1:09.
    Thanks for watching! Hope I gave you guys some tips!
  15. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    I'm not actually sure who I like better, Carp or this Top of my class guy........

I feel like it's probably Top of My Class due to the fact most Carp I know lack that cutting edge sense of humor he has...
  16. kamishak steve Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    Top:

I like that old joke about the shingle, I've always heard it told about hunting mergansers, but it's same idea. You probably hadn't heard this before, but carp were actually bred as food fish. Just like people breed horses and dogs, carp were bred in Europe specifically for fast growth and for quality of food. Some carp were even bred so that they would have fewer scales to make scaling them easier, and make it easier to prepare them to eat! The United States and Canada are actually two of the only countries on earth that don't eat some kind of carp as a mainstay of fish.

I bet you also didn't know that in the birthplace of fly fishing, England, carp fishing is the single most popular sport fish, more so than trout and salmon combined. There are carp tournaments, and a lot of custom tackle made especially for the pursuit of these fish. Believe it or not, you need to pay considerable amounts of money to get access onto the better carp waters in the UK. Here in Washington you can pursue carp without even buying a fishing license.

Carp can grow to be as large as 80 lbs, and commonly grow upwards of 30 lb. I would be willing to bet that is bigger than any trout, steelhead, or even salmon you've ever caught, and bigger than most people ever get a chance to cast to. Carp can tolerate a broad temperature and pH range, and as a result often live in water that other fish couldn't tolerate providing fishing opportunities where there otherwise wouldn't be any. Most importantly they eat flies, and that makes them important sport.

I hate to say it, but given the current management of our wild salmon and steelhead fisheries, carp may soon be the last wild fish in Washington, so you better start learning to fish for them now.

also, you may want to try using your spell check.
    Chuck S likes this.
  17. kamishak steve Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    That catfish is absolutely tremendous. Where was that caught?
  18. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +209 / 0
    It's also almost always "easier" to catch salmon, trout, steelhead, etc, etc on bait rather than with flies. We fly fisherman choose to fish with flies because of the sport, it's what we like to do, and it's fun. Likewise, it might be easy enough to catch a carp with bait, but it's a whole different story to catch one with a fly.

In large, most fly fishers practice catch and release because they are after the sport and challege of catching fish on a fly. With this in mind, who cares if the fish you catch is good eating or not? It's not making it to your table either way.
    This is a very good point as we look towards the future of our sport.
  19. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    Growing up in the mid west, I was indoctrinated with all the trash fish, dough ball & Carp on the shingle recipes from a very early age. A good portion of the bad rap aligned to Carp was also due, not so much to the prey, but the predators, those who fished for them. If you catch my drift.

So let's address some of these issues.
    1. Carp eat fish eggs as well as other fry. They are not alone in this behavior. Do we not fish for Trout & Salmon using their own roe for bait? And streamer flies?
    2. Carp destroy the native vegetation. Due to the fact that Carp are omnivores, they are often planted in areas having algae problems as a control mechanism. Were they to eat themselves out of house & home, they would soon die of starvation.
    3. They have a mud vein causing them to taste like sh!t. What is referred as the mud vein is actually the liver. All fish have one. It runs just under their spine and must be cleaned out before cooking. Like Catfish, Carp root around the bottom in search of food. So why is it that Catfish are praised for their taste & not the carp?
    4. Carp are ugly & slimy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Trout and Catfish are slimy. Carp are not.
    When I lived in So. Ca, it was common practice to drive 500 miles up to the eastern Sierra's on a three day weekend (when you had a three day weekend) to fly fish for trout that were measured in inches. Yet those guys would not drive around the block to fly fish for Carp that were measured in pounds and would take you into your backing, on an 8 wt rod! :rolleyes:

Every two day weekend, and many evenings after work, a few friends and I chased those Carp with a fly while the rest of the crowd waited for a three day weekend. :)
  20. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    Nice catfish and carp on the fly!